Possible head gasket gone in Qashqai, time to sell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a 2013 Qashqai that has done 102k miles.

Last Wednesday it was MOT’d at a cost of £380, brake cable, suspension arm and driveshaft boot.

On Friday I lost power on motorway, engine light on, engine temp high and no coolant, and had to get recovery truck out. The recovery guy poked around and said most likely head gasket is gone.

It’s now getting looked at properly tomorrow. If it is the head gasket do you think now would be the time to sell (once repaired) while I can still get a few £ towards a new car?

I had previously planned on running it into the ground, expecting to get 150k plus miles, as I’d not had any issues until this last week, but now fear this could be the start of regular issues.

Sponsored Links
How many more years do you plan to keep it for?

I would wait until the diagnosis is in and the cost of repair before making a decision

Is it a petrol or diesel

Don't forget to get a decent price for it you will have to repair it anyway

I was hoping to get another 2-3 years since it’s all paid off.

You’re right need to get it fixed regardless so could just gumtree it at a decent price and see if I get any takers!

Sponsored Links
Well the garage has said that a clip at the bottom of the radiator was leaking and has now been replaced and it now seems to be running fine.

Ill be picking it up later so fingers crossed it was not as bad as first feared!!

It looks like a lucky escape there, Im happy to say!
Do keep an eye on the coolant level, and also any sign of oil in the coolant for the next week or two.
Depending on which engine your Qashqai has, not all have cylinder heads that can be skimmed - almost a guaranteed outcome if the head gasket has failed due to overheating.
John :)

Last edited:
That's good news - looks like your plan to run it into the ground is back on!

Sponsored Links
Back