Potterton 28 Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potterton performa 28 combi that has been running for about 2 months. Today it would not boot up and showed a boiler fault on the display panel. On investigation I found the pump was red hot even thoough it was not running. Does this meen it has seized up or could there be another reason? If it has seized is there a way of releasing it or is it dead?

Your support with this will be greatly recieved.

Sponsored Links
I hope that this is a HE condensing model.

The pump may be retrievable but its probably seised up because of dirt in the system because the installer did not flush the system out to BS5750. It will just get seized again unles the system is properly cleaned. A common problem with cowboy installers.

I would suggest you call the installer back!

Tony

Hi Tony
Thanks for the reply. The boiler is not a condesing boiler.
The pump is a Grundfos up 15 60 A0 if that means anythiing to you.

He should of been coming back before Christmas to flush the system. Hopefully he will come this weekend. Is there an easy way for me to release the pump or does it need a profesional?

You can look at the FAQ on this site to see how to spin the pump. It will probably stick again pretty soon though.

The system should have been power flushed BEFORE the boiler was fitted !

Now the boiler's pump will have been worn by the dirt in the system and this will reduce its life.

I assume that you are aware that a non condensing boiler does not comply with Building Regulations?

The installer will not have notified the installation to CORGI and presumably he is not CORGI registered either.

I think that using a cowboy unregistered installer is going to give you considerable problems in the future particularly when you come to sell the property.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Again Tony thankyou for your help.
I suppose you are right you only get what you pay for :mad:
If non condensing boilers no longer conform, why do they still sell them?

The guy that fitted it is excorgi as he had a career change and usally only does bits on the side. I talked him into doing my full system, I thought I was getting a bargin has it only cost me just under £2000 for a full 11 rad system. looking at other quotes I suppose I cant grumble at having to fork out for a new pump, but I will make sure he gives it a full flush this time.
Cheers
Shaun

they still selll non part L boilers cos you can be exempted from part l is certain circumstances you can

:)

good here aint it

He should be reported to CORGI/HSE for illegally installing a gas appliance!

I dont know who chose your non compliant boiler but it would have cost little more to get a condensing model and you would probably have saved the extra cost in the first year as they are more efficient and use less gas.

I suppose you are saving some gas when the boiler is not running but is the discomfort worth it?

Tony

I went to one of these with a hot pump,what i found that during my basic electric test for continuity of earth,correct polarity,resistance to earth etc,it appeared the installer had wired a 240 volt supply on the wrong terminal this caused the pump to run on and on until it died,pump overun to the extreme :LOL: Have you done your basic electric tests ?

Agile said:
He should be reported to CORGI/HSE for illegally installing a gas appliance!

I dont know who chose your non compliant boiler but it would have cost little more to get a condensing model and you would probably have saved the extra cost in the first year as they are more efficient and use less gas.

I suppose you are saving some gas when the boiler is not running but is the discomfort worth it?

Tony
LOL to the last comment you cheered me up knowing i am saving a few bob on my gas at present "but its b****y freezing up here.
As for reporting him it was my fault just as much as his has i talked him into fitting a full system. He only usually replaces or adds extra rads for friends and family, so is not usually involved with the gas side. He was in the game for 25years before he decided to change jobs as his knees were giving up I'm sure there are allot on here that can relate to that.

I cant find any advice on here on how to turn the pump, any pointers?

Baxmax said:
I went to one of these with a hot pump,what i found that during my basic electric test for continuity of earth,correct polarity,resistance to earth etc,it appeared the installer had wired a 240 volt supply on the wrong terminal this caused the pump to run on and on until it died,pump overun to the extreme :LOL: Have you done your basic electric tests ?
As far as I know he never carried out any polarity,resistence to earth checks. If what you are sayiing is correct to you think that two months would be about right to burn out the motor?
When the system was running it did not sound like anything was labouring too much, but then again how would I know.
Thanks for your input Baxmax
Regards
Shaun

If your "installer" had wired the boiler as per the one i witnessed you would here the pump running continulisly even with the selecter switch to off,i am not suggesting your installer has done this i was just emphasising the need to use proffesional people to carry out gas installations. :eek:

Baxmax said:
If your "installer" had wired the boiler as per the one i witnessed you would here the pump running continulisly even with the selecter switch to off,i am not suggesting your installer has done this i was just emphasising the need to use proffesional people to carry out gas installations. :eek:
I understand what you are saying. I would harldy class him as unproffesional just because he is no longer corgi registered. Maybe a bit naughty for doing it as he should know better. As i said before he was a plumber/fitter for 25 years and spending all that time on his knees and also bending god knows how much pipe round them as well tends to have an effect on the old kneecaps I would imagine.
He fitted over 200 foot of pipe and over 70 soldered joints without a single leak, so that should say something.
As for not fitting a condensing boiler we brought from a national company 6 months ago. so not sure when the legislation came in to place.

I took the front of me pump off and gave it a spin, working like a dream now :D.
I would not say i'm a compotent person to do this but I think I have saved myself a few bob for now. I'm sure it will come back and bite me on the bum at some stage.
I can't seem to find any speed settings on my pump, as my first thought was that if it was on one I could put ut up to three to see if that would free it. Does anyone know if the potterton 28 comes with a standard single speed pump or am I looking in the wrong place? The user manual shows a three speed pump.
The pump is a grundfos 15/16 energy saver.
Thanks for the input you guys have given.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back