Potterton 80e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mums boiler is playing up,hot water is fine but on heating nothing is happening.
I have checked the pump impeller is spinning but thats as far as i can go w/out replacing parts.
Its a Potterton 80e
T I A

Sponsored Links
What heating / timing controls do you have fitted? plus do you really mean that the pump is running when there is a call for heat?

Sponsored Links
No external controls just the electro mechanical timer and constant/timed switch on boiler front.
The impeller is spinning but still the boiler fails to fire up, no fan noise but the fan obviously works when you open a hot tap.

Well the pump is obviously working for HW otherwise you wouldn't have any. I did ask whether you meant that the pump was running when there was a call for CH but didn't get an answer. Now I'm also asking if you have checked to see if the timeswitch is working.

It'd be nice to get both answers though.

I can hear the timeswitch working and the pump is deffo spinning when i set the rocker switch to constant.

Not to dispute what you are finding, but I would first check that the timeswitch is actually working. You should have continuity between terminals 3 & 4 of the switch when there is a call for heat.

You might also want to check terminals L1 and L2 on the wiring block. Assuming that these are the same as the later Pottertons you should have 230V to both terminals. In any event, since you do not have a room stat, you must have two terminals bridged - these are the ones to check.

I'm assuming that you have a multimeter available.

There is continuity between terminals 3 & 4 whether there is a call for heat or not ?
The two terminals are bridged
Any idea what next

I am at home now , what am i looking for (reading) asking so as to know more what to look at while i'm at my mums.
Thanks

The most important thing is to determine if you are getting 230v across the bridged terminals. This will prove the CH potentiometer, the PCB (part of it anyway) and the clock.

Since you have hot water, then the other components - fan, APS etc have all been proved.

But, I had already asked you in a previous post to check the voltage at both terminals.

If you are getting 230V, then there are other more knowledgeable boiler engineers here who will be able to help you out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back