POTTERTON BOIULER LOCK-OUT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure i will get everyone telling me how bad these boilers are but my problem is this; A few mths ago my boiler packed up, it was due to a circuit board problem, i had a re-con circuit board fitted and a few wks later it started locking out, i have been waiting for the said plumber to re-order me a new c-board (now 5wks) but is it normal for the pump in the airing cupboard to continue running for a long time after the boiler locks out, it seems it runs for about 45mins at least, there is no call for c-heating as thermostat is turned down, so only call is for hot water yet this pump carries on running whilst boiler is in lockout. The lockout does now seem worse as i have the c-heating turned down, any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
I am confused......no information....what boiler? And why is a pump problem a symptom of a bad boiler if it is seperate?

Some boilers have integral pump overun some don't so a sweeping statement that the boiler is 'bad' without identifying if it is the boiler that is the problem doesn't help us to help you.

So......boiler model first, system set up second please. then we can see if we can help

Finally, it is never a good idea to use reconditioned parts in my opinion, they usually end up costing more in the long run

There are so many more details you need to add......
Name of boiler....
What set up you have....
What controls the boiler (as in the potterton i have just had to sort out was controlled by a wireless room stat and this turned out to be half the problem)
Does the boiler run at all and for how long
Is the boiler going through the sequence
Is the fan running
Has the boiler been serviced

Agree with powell...never never use recon parts...especialy circuit boards....what little you save will cost you more in the future........

I see your problem is not a new one
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1533231#1533231

So did the plumber change the 3 port valve near your tank?
The job i have just done with a potterton was the 3 port stuck open (house was empty for 7 months and family before were numptys but thats another story)
The water would continue heating even after the stat had asked the valve to close because it was stuck.....

Do you have wireless stats?
Because as i found out they have to be synched together if they get powered down.....
Have you tryed turning the tank stat down to make the water cooler and prove that stat is working?

Sorry if my ideas are away with the fairies here. no doubt a regular will look in and point you in the right direction....

Sponsored Links
Ref Blackadder, if you read my post it does say it is an old problem that started a few months ago, so yes i have posted before, but unfortunately i have been waiting 6 wks for my plumber to sort the problem after he was the one who fitted the circuit board, and as i had paid him £330 i don't feel like paying someone else.
Sorry for the lack of info, was posted during a very tiring night shift, it is a potterton suprima 50, that has a re-conditioned circuit board fitted as the other packed up early in Jan, it is set by the programmer to come on to heat water/ch but locks out very often, i have woken up today at noon to the sound of the pump still running even though the boiler was timed to go off at 930am, when i checked the panel it had locked out again obviously before it was due to go off, when i pressed the re-set button the flashing red light stopped and the pump stopped. After having a look at the circuit board today the serial number is 5102160 which after looking at other blogs seems to point to a board that has a bit of history, the question i was asking is it normal to have the pump running for so long after the boiler has gone off or is this due to the lockout?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back