potterton combi 80 no heating downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please, I have a potterton combi 80 boiler thats 5 years old, about 2 weeks ago the heating downstairs suddenly stopped working even though it works upstairs and I also have hot water.

I was informed that the cause would be the pump which i have since got replaced but im still having the same problem.

when the boiler turns on however it will only heat up for a few minutes no matter what the thermostat is set at before it turns off again i have got heating upto 15 degrees upstairs, red hot water upstairs and downstairs but no heating at all downstairs.

I would be grateful if anybody could help me.

Sponsored Links
I have tried turning upstairs off and left downstairs on, i have also bleed all radiators but found no trapped air but warm water will come out from downstairs when i bleed them

If you want go to every rad and close both ends off,then fire c/h up and go to a rad that didnt work and open trv end fully,then l/shield end open just enough so the rad heats up,and leave as it is,go to next rad,and do the same,just balancing the system,check pressure is around 1 1/2

Sponsored Links
TRV ,THERMOSTATIC RAD VALVE AND L/S, LOCKSHIELD VALVE WHICH SHOULD HAVE WHITE CAP ON AND YOU CAN TURN THE ACTUAL WHITE TOP OR TAKE IT OFF AND WITH A SPANNER TURN THE VALVE OFF,TRV TURN TO ZERO OR FROST SETTING

tried doing one radiator but boiler not staying on long enough to heat up its turning off after a minute

It'll be either the diverter valve motor or the pcb I reckon. As long as your pumps alright like you say, and assuming that your heat exchanger isn't blocked.

Who changed the pump,

and,

how much of it was changed, or perhaps that would be better put by my asking, how long did it take.

Tim

the pump head was changed by a friend who said the pump was the problem, didnt take him long though. the pump is a myson cp63

So its a Combi 80 so the pump is contained within the boiler case.

Has your friend has changed what I would call the the pump head rather than the complete pump?

Tim

PS, have re-read your first post and would like to know if the appliance was showing any signs of not working correctly whilst supplying hot water prior to the cold rads down stairs bit became apparent?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back