potterton combi 80 no heating downstairs

the pipe was left alone and the entire head was put onto it rather than removing all pipe aswell, the plumbing merchant where pump was bought was the person who suggested doing it that way.

Sponsored Links
In which case the pump does not seem to be the wrong way around.

The fact that the boiler lights up but then shuts down without distress "banging and going to lock out, suggests that the problem is proberbly circulation.

Things I would be checking if called out to a job like this are,

have the boiler isolating valves been turned fully back on?

Was the system drained to allow the pump change to take place?

Tim

the only thing i watched him do was fit the pump head and turn the water back on and refill the water pressure, how would i check the valve you mentioned?

i have just noticed the pressure bar is jerking a tiny bit but very slowly the water pressure is rising also a slight whistling noise when the boiler starts up

Sponsored Links
Looking at the bottom of the boiler there will be pipes feeding down from it.

Right to left I think these pipes will be,

a 15mm pipe which should be the over pressure pipe.

then two 22mm pipes which will be the flow and return to the radiator circuit,

a 22mm pipe that supplies gas to the boiler (although this may be 15mm stepped down from 22mm)

Then two 15mm pipes that are the domestic hot water into the boiler, and the domestic hot water from the boiler to the draw off points (taps)

Going back to the heating flow and return pipes, where they leave the boiler there should be a small leaver on each one, and it should be in line with the pipe, that is to say in a vertical position if the pipes are pointed downwards.

This would indicate that the valves are open, however although the plastic leavers may move, the spindles of the isolating valves may not be moving enough to allow complete circulation to take place.

Did the person who changed the pump check the rads were getting hot?

Tim

no he waited until boiler stopped after about 2 mins then said it will kick in soon, im stiil in same situation as before having new pump fitted having hot water and heating upstairs but not downstairs but now i have a whistle and jerky preassure bar!!!!

will your upstairs get hot like it should do,or is it sluggish,will they get hot without anyone running hot water,i know im proberly miles out but if the upstairs is getting hot like the boiler is doing its job,then what can be stopping the d/stairs,if its not being robbed by upstairs,valves arent stuck,or blockage,maybe hot water diverter is stuck allowing rads hot off gravity? no,i dont think so either

before new pump fitted upstairs only got warm, now they are very hot like they should be so it seems to be working fine just cant figure out why downstairs aint doing same, tried bleeding system but that didn`t fix the problem

four radiators upstairs all working fine, three downstairs none working, all got trv on

Are they open both ends,i know this is the obvious,and if you have trvs are they working and not stuck,also can you see your drops to the rads downstairs,doubt it but theres no valves on them is there,what id do is id go to a rad turn both ends off open the valves,so your taking the valves from the rad tails and get a bowel and open one end wait until its hot and close,fill pressure up,and do other end when your sure there both clear and hot connect to rad tighten up ,vent rad,pressure up again and trey that

i have tried turning all rads of at both ends and then turn one of the not working rads on again to see if it works but it doesnt heat up even a little bit, is that the asme as what u have just suggested?

NO,i mean undoing both ends at the rad,turn both ends off first,get a bowl,undo nuts at the rad,NOT at the pipe and get pressure up to 2 bar,open trv end first when its hot water coming out close it up,and try other end into bowl,if there both hot ,connect back up and try that

thanks for help but gotta leave it for today as dont have owt at moment to undo nuts with!!! i will be back to let you know if it worked or not. merry xmas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back