Potterton Combi 80 not lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Combi 80, which is not lighting, i.e., no flame (or visible spark) when:

(i) the Boiler switched is turned from standby to on and the Central Heating switch is on constant, or

(ii) a hot water tap is turned on

Both the fan and the pump turn on and the water pressure is above the minimum 1 Bar. The red lamp glows when the hot water tap is turned on, and relay 1 appears to be turning on when the Boiler switch is turned from standby to on. The lockout light is off.

The problem started while we were away for the weekend, and as far as I can see we haven't done anything significant that might have affected the boiler.

I have followed the fault finding guide, and the advice of our plumber who managed to have a quick look at the boiler yesterday, and have replaced the Full Sequence Control Board. I did this earlier today (all cables reattached - double checked), but the problem persists!

I'm literally at my wits end, as there is no other diagnosis relevant in the fault finding guide (i.e., it doesn't tell you what to do if the fault persists after replacing the Full Sequence Control Board).

We are a young family and very cold at the moment; on the other hand, our regular plumber is on a 2 week holiday in (warm) Thailand...so any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance and regards to all.

Sponsored Links
As a general guide if the fan is on but no ignition it would point to the aps not recognising the fan spinning. It could also be a blockage or split in the aps tubes, or in the fan venturi. But then as your plumber replaced the board I assume he checked all of these first :?: :rolleyes:

Or the gas valve is faulty!

I went to one of these today and although clearly shown as a Combi 80 was an electronic version which I would have expected to be a Combi 80 e.

Tony

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
It could also be a blockage or split in the aps tubes,

Check the white APS tube for a split where it connects to the fan box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back