Potterton Envoy leaking from plastic plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Sorry for my ignorance but I have no prior experience of boilers. My question is this - my girlfriend's house is fitted with a Potterton Envoy boiler. On the bottom of the housing at the rear there is a yellow plastic 'plug'. When the heating is on (but not the water) it is leaking water from here. It looks like it may just need a new o-ring or something, but not being familiar with these I thought it best to check.

What is the likely cause and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Sponsored Links
chances are is that you need a new condensate trap they have undergone a modification as the old ones seem to spilt just above the plastic plug you describe

I would advise you get someone competent in as the old envoy is a "tempramental" piece of sh.................work

I couldn't comment directly on your unit.....but there were a couple of manufacturers who felt they were being left behind in the high efficiency technology race (around 1999) and quickly rushed out units that were ill concieved and under researched.

If you were unlucky enough to have one of these you would find that ongoing repairs would tend to be piecemeal and short lived.

From a gas company perspective, working on such units (unnamed) is a risk because some customers will want to attribute the ongoing unreliability to the last earnest soul who repaired/serviced/safety checked it. When you want to make a claim, you must have someone to blame.

There is a chap on this web site who not immodestly claims to be able to fix any boiler. I can only assume this includes ones where even the manufacturer has tried to bury them.

I suggest you enlist his services - or consider scrapping it in the next 12 months.

Sponsored Links
or just replace the condensate trap

as for the reliabilty of the envoy, personally speaking I find them ok, just like other boilers there are a fews dogs, which have no for the most part been ripped out, but the rest i service are going strong, the main fault (other than people not servicing them right) i find with them is the glow iginitor goes.

if they are not serviced right and the condensate blocks then the chamber will flood killing all componants.

IMHO just repace the condensate trap, get someone with a brain cell to service it and you'll be apples :)

You didn't mention the flaking heat exchangers, Corgiman?

simond said:
You didn't mention the flaking heat exchangers, Corgiman?

in all honesty simond I have only ever come across one of those and the HE replacment is a piece of urine so i dont consider it too much of a headache

they are as good as most of the new stuff we deal with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back