potterton EP2001

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a central heating system fitted in around 1990,the timer is a Potterton EP2001.The touch pad on the central heating side of the timer no longer works.I guess after the amount of time i have had the system it has probably come to the end of its working life.
This model is no longer available,is it possible to fit a new model to replace the older version? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
yep.

Drayton LP722 is a good choice. Note which cables go to L, N, Hot water on, Hot water off*, and CH on.

Replace with new programmer. Potterton EPs had spare terminals inside, if these have been used it will be awkward accommodating them inside a new backplate.

*depending on the type of system, this connection may not be used.

u should be able to get another potterton to straight swap. may be a different model number.

Drayton Tempus 7 is easier and more informative to use.

Sponsored Links
We used to specify Drayton Tempus 7 but it is now old news.

The Drayton LP722 was totally revised in 2005 and updates the tempus 7;

-it has a precision clock that you never have to set, even straight out of the box
-it automatically makes adjustments for British summer and Winter time
-it features a permanently backlit display (useful for airing cupboards)
-it memorises your settings almost indefinitely in a power outage
-it has improved ergonomics

As far as we are aware the Tempus 7 still retains the old circuitry and therefore does not have any of the aforementioned improvements.

As the LP722 is a similar price the Tempus range is looking a bit passe now.

Thanks one and all,it's obvious i need to have a new progammer fitted.
I have no intention of fitting it myself,what i am asking is if i get a professional to fit it,do i need a simaler type or will any type do?
I have had the front panel off and there is a hell of a lot of wires in there.

There is a stand off plate you fit on these with a terminal block in to use all those excess wires up, then something like an acl lifestyle fits on the top.

It's a pity they didn't incorporate the best features of both. The Tempus 7 also has battery backup, bst/gmt change is a one button press, and it lights up.

It also is much simpler to program, shows you what time it's on or off until, and has a holiday function, and a Boost +1 or +2 hour feature which is shown on the display and is very popular.

I carry about 4 electronic programmers, the Tempus outsells the rest about 6:1. The Sunvic is number 2 because it's discrete. It's also popular to keep a simple programmer for HW and use a programmable stat - usually a CM67.

The old LP722 was a dog and needed updating, but they didn't take it very far.

Yes Chris, we used to specify the Tempus 7 too.

But as far as I am aware it has never been fitted with a backlit display or the other advances the LP range got last year.

That is why we dropped it. Have Invensys brought out a new Tempus or are you mistaken about the illuminated display?

rovert47 said:
gazthepottertonengineer said:
just fit an EP2002 or EP3002 as its straight swap and will only take 1 minute max ;)
What even a layman with all those wires?

er yes as the ep2002 fits on the same back plate, no wiring needed

I like & still supply Tempus 7's ,still get technophobics that find them to hard to understand though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back