Potterton Flamingo 20-30.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has just had a visit from British Gas re: her Potterton Flamingo 20-30 boiler and system to see if she qualified for their breakdown cover.
The engineer informed her that the boiler was obsolete and it was impossible to get spares in case of a breakdown. He advised a new boiler from British Gas.
The house was built in the late eighties so I guess the boiler is approximately 20/22 years old.
In the two years she's been there no problems have arisen.
Is this conclusion from the engineer fair or was it a ploy to drum up business? Also is this Potterton boiler a good brand.
I look forward to your advice and thanks in anticipation.

Best wishes from,

Gibson8206.

Sponsored Links
Both fair and a ploy. It is quite simple with very few parts to go wrong. But it might get very noisy if it has corrosion, sediment and limescale inside, and not be worth fixing. He will probably be getting a small incentive for finding new boiler customers. BG are a very expensive supplier of new boilers, and this is a bad time of year to get one. You are best advised to find out what's a good boiler, and then ask around friends and neighbours locally for a well-recommended independent installer.

If it is still going, no need to replace it just yet; but when it goes badly wrong, it will have to go. With luck it will just need new thermocouples ever 2 years, but it might be rusty round the flue (mine was, I live on the coast)

I had my Flamingo replaced about 2 years ago by a Viessmann Vitodens 100 Compact, which is a splendid boiler. Although I still have a cylinder (not a Combi) I was surprised to find that my gas usage over the last 12 months including a very cold winter was only 1226m³, and the house was warmer than usual. In the last cold year it was 1807m³, and 1570m³ in a mild year, so the efficiency savings were greater that I had expected. BTW as it was installed by a Viessmann-trained installer, it gets a 5-year parts and labour warranty, and is very reliable, so I don't expect to get good value from a maintenance contract.

my old one (with the cover off)

View media item 1754 . . View media item 1755 . . View media item 1756

can't remember. The flames were a bit orange due to intermittent salt spray in storms, and the flue was not air tight, so it was condemned for leaking flue gas, and I was told (incorrectly) that new seals were not available.

I was fed up with it because it bonked and banged a lot, even after I used acid cleaners. I looked inside the Hex after it was removed, and it must be practically impossible to get deposits out of the ironwork at the bottom.

Sponsored Links
I've worked on a few of them, and what John says is fair comment. The Flamingo is/was a good quality boiler, but its really in its end of life phase..which doesn't necessarily mean its knackered, but it is getting old. The only things you might need are thermocouples and these are freely available. If its a room sealed one then you need to be sure the seals are in good condition. If anything else serious goes wrong, I'd consider a change.

I'm happy to knock Grittish Bass usually,but on this occasion I don't blame him for trying...and yes, they are incentivised.

Viessman 100 Compact? Excellent little feller.

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back