Potterton Lynx 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one help me???
I have recently bought a house with a potterton lynx 2 boiler in and it looks a bit of a relic.
It was working fine to a few days a go when (in response to a few rattles) we checked the water pressure and found that it was running very low.
We put a bit more pressure into the system through the pressure equalisation valve and that is when the trouble began????... ever do something that you wish you hadnt messed with!

The main issue is that since the above action was taken, the system keeps on tripping out and showing the reset light. Everytime we reset the unit, it will run for a few days and then the light come on again... The pressure is now a little lower then when I first filled it... but I have been advised that could just be the system "settling"!

I have spoken to Potterton who have suggested a long list of things that I dont understand... or I should call an engineer!!

Sponsored Links
Shrek Monster said:
Can any one help me???
I have recently bought a house with a potterton lynx 2 boiler in and it looks a bit of a relic.
It was working fine to a few days a go when (in response to a few rattles) we checked the water pressure and found that it was running very low.
We put a bit more pressure into the system through the pressure equalisation valve and that is when the trouble began????... ever do something that you wish you hadnt messed with!

The main issue is that since the above action was taken, the system keeps on tripping out and showing the reset light. Everytime we reset the unit, it will run for a few days and then the light come on again... The pressure is now a little lower then when I first filled it... but I have been advised that could just be the system "settling"!

I have spoken to Potterton who have suggested a long list of things that I dont understand... or I should call an engineer!!

You should call an Engineer ;)

I guess I asked for that one!!!!! :rolleyes:
Problem is that all the local engineers are in the Christmas spirit already- well at least the call out charges are ;)

Got a bit more news though- Have checked the radiators and there is a water leak off one of them which could be an answer to the pressure drop...

Isolate rad by turning off valves either side.

Put the customary body warmer in an accessible place until it can be repaired.

Sponsored Links
Hello

I too have one of these boilers. For six years it has been doing the exact same problem. ( Working fine for a while, then sitting on the reset light).
On boxing day the system burst a pipe, fortunately it didn't cause too much damage.
On replacing the burst CH pipe and re-filling the system, the boiler would not re-ignite. I now had low system pressure, this I got round by temporarly removing the pressure sensor wire (red) until the system was running at temperature. I then reconnected the wire only for the boiler to pack up again 20 mins later. The reset light came on again.
I decided that I would follow the wiring diagram printed on the inside of the boiler outer cover and found there was a CH O/H STAT. This is located inside the boiler underneath the inner cover. (4 screws to remove) I found the STAT to be faulty. I have temporarly joined these 2 yellow wires together and found the boiler is now working correctly and has been doing so since the day after boxing day. I have ordered the new STAT from a local outlet and will fix it as soon as it arrives. I have checked with my digital meter the heat of the pipes running to the radiators, and it is the same as when the STAT was connected. I AM NOT A BOILER ENGINEER AND DO NOT RECCOMMEND YOU HAVE AGO YOURSELF, THIS IS PURELY TO HELP POINT AN ENGINEER IN WHAT COULD BE THE RIGHT DIRECTION.
I am an automatic door engineer and work with electrics and electricity full time, so I do have some understanding of how the boiler works.
I hope this helps somebody. Cheers Merry Xmas and a happy new year to all.

I hope you first tried to reset the O/H stat by pushing it upwards!

It will trip if the water is lost from the system!

Bypassing safety devices is not permitted for CORGI registered engineers and probably inadvisable for access control engineers either!

Tony

Hello again

The new STAT has arrived and is now fitted.
The boiler is working perfectly.

The old thermostat wasn't in any condition for pushing or pulling as the plastic part which housed the contacts had come away from the metal base which was fastened via 2 screws to the pipe.

As said before I do not reccommend you do it yourself. (Get an Engineer).
I certainly do not recommend leaving any appliance without safety devices connected. They are there for a reason, however inconvenient they may be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back