Potterton Prima F - Overheat Cut-out --

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its starting to look a lot like Christmas!

Gents

I have a Potterton 60F Prima balanced flue gas boiler that keeps cutting out. Pressing (and holding) the reset button will get the flame back but as soon as I take my finger off the button it cuts out. The boiler at this point is only warm however and is certainly not over-hot.

This is an intermittent problem since sometimes the boiler will fire get up to temperature, heat the sytem and then cut out (no light not even a pilot light). This is fine and I expect this behaviour. When it cuts out due to an overheating issue (maybe a stat) the blue pilot light stays on. I think the fan is still running too. I know the central heating is still calling for heat but the boiler will not fire. Pump is still running when the boiler goes out.

I have recent drained the CHS down and was wondering if there is air in the boiler and this is being heated and causing the overheat thermometer to cut in. I have bled all the rads (all hot). I bled the CH pump (unscrewed cap and pulled value till water came out. There is an AAV in boiler cupboard. I also bled the manual vent in the loft till water came out.

Is there anyway to bleed the boiler or confirm that it is air in it?
Although I have recently drained system this prob has occurred before but not as persistent.
Is there any way to confirm it is overheat thermometer.

I have read the instruction guide and feel I could tackle replacing this although I only want to do this if it is the correct diagnosis.

I even timed between cut-outs to see if it some air travelling around the system. I have opened all the rads and then closed them once bled to the correct temp (TSV). The rad in the bathroom is open all the time.

Sorry for the long post - wanted to spend the time to give you the full SP.

Cheers

Brirtsh Gas will only come out on Xmas Eve if I take out a contract.

Darren

Sponsored Links
When I replace the thermostat do I need to use heat conducting paste?
What are the consequences if I dont?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back