Potterton Prima will run at 5, max but not at lower settings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler won't run when the controller is set on the lower settings and at the higher settings (5, max) gets extremely hot but does not supply similarly hot water for the CH. I had the system flushed and that has made a small improvement but the rads still don't get very hot. My Corgi thought that it might be to do with the stat inside the boiler but wasn't sure why the casing got so hot relative to the water. The pump is running at full speed and the 3-way valve seems to be OK (a fairly new Boss). It's a 50F from 1993 BTW.

Sponsored Links
As you describe the problem it sounds a little unusual but I put that downb to your description rather than an unusual fault.

Like everything, its the man in front of the boiler who can see whats wrong.

Although a thermostat failing on an old boiler is quite common thats not necessarily the cause in your case.

If the casing is hot then the pump may not be pumping effectively.

As always a competent boiler engineer may be required.

Tony

The corgi guy who came to flush the system is also a boiler engineer and he was baffled. The pump outside of the boiler is fairly new, clean and according to the engineer working fine. I may need to find someone who knows more about these things. Thanks for your input.
Do you think it's something that I could get sorted by the British Gas repair and maintenance service that's currently being offered?[/i]

I would have to ask you just how any competent boiler engineer can be baffled by any fault on a very simple boiler/system when thats his bread and butter work?

You dont test a pump by saying that its new!

I would say that you just need any competent engineer.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The question therefore is how does one find a competent boiler engineer?

Now that can often be a problem!

Its best by personal recommendation from someone who has had a modern boiler repaired.

You dont say where you are as we may be able to suggest someone.

Tony

I'm in Lewes, East Sussex which isn't far from Brighton if you know of anyone down this way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back