Potterton profile boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,i have lived in my house 17 years boiler was installed so no idea how old it is,but has served me well till now.We have a Randall 3060 timer and is only set for hot water only in summer months however it is now "locking out" after a few hours of firing up.This is rectified by pushing small button underneath the boiler unit (sorry dont know technical terms).Our system has to have a radiator left open at all times and this is heated when boiler fires up.Is there a easy fix,which is uncomplicated,loathe to spend much as is so old.Hope i have given adequate information to you.
Cheers
Paul

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is going to overheat.These boilers need professional attention and as such I would recommend a check by someone competant.You can do basic checks ie pump running etc but after that the case has to come off and that requres RGI.

check the pump, theres some info in the FAQ on how to do that.
check water in header tank also and ball valve working

Sponsored Links
Never understood why the Profile had the Overheat Stat (O/HS) The Netaheat didnt.
Its not a low content boiler like the prima and was designed to work on Gravity H/W systems.

There is not much you can do OP, as you would have to open up the combustion chamber to replace the O/HS.

But, it has 'overheated' for a reason, be it faulty pump, dry system or just a faulty stat.

P46

Thank you for replys will get someone to look at it.If expensive i think i will look at new boiler given its age.Cheers :cool:

The O/HT stat is probably operating satisfactrily, so needs someone qualified to have a look as to why, sorry but this ones prob gna cost you, unless as was said you can check your pump out, take it you do have a fully pumped system?

What number is the stat set to on the boiler? Anything above 3 ands likely to overheat.

What number is the stat set to on the boiler? Anything above 3 ands likely to overheat.

With no pump over-run and a (possibly) scaled heat ex, youve hit the preverbial nail on the head sir! Latent heat is something old boilers do struggle with. :unsure: No reason to change the beast yet though!

P46

The stat is at the lowest possible setting,before cutting off!Has always been this way (17 years)mentioned it loads of times to various engineers on servicing,nobodys bothered much.Just to add the water is/always has been very,very hot,you could not leave your hand under it,but we have got used to that by now!I hear what you say about not replacing,will see what engineer comes up with.Thanks all again :cool:

I hope yours is better looked after than mine seco! I lift the cover every few years and suck out a few moths. Put it back together and let it get on with it.

shooosh last time i touched it was about five yr ago for a pcb.

the tap water has nothing to do with the systems water and overheating boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back