Potterton profile boiler

Ah ok seco didnt realise that.But still boiler is at lowest possible setting.

Sponsored Links
Profiles/Primas are prone to boiler stat failure. Get that checked first by a RGI.

Sponsored Links
Unless its on gravity.
Dunno what we have sorry,try to explain it.Main water tank in loft,much smaller tank below this.We have to leave at least one rad open in summer when just having hot water on,again i dont know why,was told to doby someone engineer probably!Immersion heater that we never use,presume this holds the hot water when its heated,hope this explains it a bit.Sorry not technical terms,but i am a good painter :eek: :eek:

the tap water has nothing to do with the systems water and overheating boiler.

Could be linked if HW is red hot, and Boiler stat on lowest possible setting, and system is gravity and it o/htg could be that the boiler stat is fooked

Unless its on gravity.
Dunno what we have sorry,try to explain it.Main water tank in loft,much smaller tank below this.We have to leave at least one rad open in summer when just having hot water on,again i dont know why,was told to doby someone engineer probably!Immersion heater that we never use,presume this holds the hot water when its heated,hope this explains it a bit.Sorry not technical terms,but i am a good painter :eek: :eek:

Reset the overheat and run the central heating for a while, see if it overheats.

Where's the pump?

Can you paint us a picture of the top of the boiler and the airing cupboard please?

As the problem is long standing the configuration of the boiler thermostat plus a switch on the control box have to be set to suit the type of pipework layout you have. You'll need an RGI to open the boiler to check the thermostat position in the boiler itself. It may never have been right if the hot water has always been too hot and the boiler stat may have simply gone out of calibration though I personally have no experience of anything like a high failure rate with these stats - they, like the boiler - just work - and reliably too.

Keep the boiler, get it fixed.

Reset the overheat and run the central heating for a while, see if it overheats. Will try that tomoz.

Where's the pump? Pump and boiler in garage.Pump about 12" from boiler at the top

Can you paint us a picture of the top of the boiler and the airing cupboard please? Airing cupboard upstairs contains immersion heater only.Cheers
All seem to think keep boiler must be a good one then,or is it they dont make them like they used to?

Paul your boiler's made of Cast Iron - and like you say, not any more.

Heating systems used to be put in such that the HW gets up to the temperature of the boiler. If there's a thermostat on the side of the HW cylinder it would be possible top turn the HW temp down , if it had decent controls.
17 years ago most systems were getting full controls.

There are lots of reasons why these things can overheat.
If the pump's 17 years old too, it's due for a change. Start there and see how dirty it looks on the impeller. Sludge builds up and stops circulation, the feed pipe can block so you get air in the pump which does the same, I've changed a few boiler stats on them. Lack of overrun can do it, and I've had one gas valve fail on too high a gas rate. :eek:

I'd certainly get it fixed, though it could spring a leak tomorrow or go on for another 17 years.

Penfold - Overheat stats are mandatory on boilers which are used on sealed systems, which were getting popular in that era. The previous Netaheat had to have an OHS fitted to be used sealed.

ChrisR,
Thank you for the explanation on the hot water,have never understood it! The hot water cylinder is original circa 1974 ish :eek:
Am going to try to get hold of a engineer this weekend.
Thanks to everybody who has responded,it is much appreciated :cool:

Update,gas chap has been identified the problem,overheat stat that many of you suggested,so thanks all for that.He has also talked me out of getting a new combi system,just by saying what the f*** for this system is far superior,ha,ha.Stat wasnt cheap at £66 but he serviced boiler and replaced the stat for £65 which also covers me for unlimited call outs in 12 month.Have used the guy before(old school boy) knows boilers inside out,but eccentric to the point of hysterical.Rang him originally be there tomoz after 6pm didnt come so rang him again few days later,oh sorry forgot,and his next sentance started going on about monkeys in the bloody rain forest.Nutty as a bucket of frogs,but good with boilers :LOL: :LOL:
Thanks all once again,this forum is the bees knees

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back