Potterton Promax HE15 like Happy Days Jukebox...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Our Potterton Promax has developed an annoying fault where it doesn't always light - usually first thing in the morning, so when we all want the shower and a warm house it doesn't happen. It has been known to happen in the evenings as well.

When it doesn't light, it goes through the usual 4 ignition cycles but quits when it doesn't get a flame after the 4th try. However, we've found that if you thump the underside of the boiler (not particularly hard) on the right (opposite side to drain) immediately after one of the ignition 'clicks', it lights and runs no problem - hence the Happy Days reference as I'm like a more boring Fonz hitting a boiler instead of a jukebox, rock and roll.

Obviously want to get this fixed so I don't have to do this every cold morning an hour before everyone else gets up - does anyone know what the fault might be, given that a knock or vibration seems to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Quite common on this boiler. It requires the services of a professional. Easy fix. Sorry, can't be more specific, but forum rules prevent DIY gas advice. Describing the fault may actually encourage a DIY repair.

Thanks Pete - appreciate you can't be more specific, although I'm not sure I'd want to fiddle with it anyway! Do you know how much roughly it would cost to put right if it's an easy fix? And is there anything I should mention to the engineer that will help them narrow it down or do you think they'll know from the description I gave above?

Sponsored Links
I think the engineer would know the fault and what to check. Maybe just a good service is all thats required. Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back