Potterton Puma 80 boiler won't fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
My boiler's pilot light is on but it won't flare up when hot water/central heating are turned on. I've turned pressure gauge so it's on 2 (it was really low before) but still nothing. Sounds like it's trying to fire up but it just won't. It's been cold showers for a few days now!
I've only had one person come to take a look so far - he's suggested a new boiler but thinks that the circuit board needs replacing. I'm inclined to replace circuit board as money an issue but any thoughts/advice most welcome.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
pressure guage should be at 1 bar when cold, and about 2 when hot so you shouldnt have bumped it up really, if it gets to 3 bar you have a pressure relief pipe and it chucks all the water outside, if this happens the washer normally gets a bit of muck and rubbish on it and doesnt close off properly = new prv

wow, that was quick!!
sorry, i'm a bit of a novice - does prv refer to circuit board? the guy that came round did say i'd overdone the pressure and released it, etc.
do you think i can get away with repairing rather than buying new boiler? could it be anything else?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's trying to fire up but it just won't.
Can you describe what you hear - does the fan speed up?
If you turn the HW on, does the red light on the PCB come on?

These are quite repairable.

I dont think much of someone who "thinks" its the PCB.

A competent engineer will KNOW what the problem is !

Tony Glazier

thanks for all the questions and advice! my reasons for going on this forum are exactly because he couldn't tell me what's wrong definitively.

when i turn hw on, the boiler makes a little clicking noise straightaway, but that's all. sorry for being a girl but by pcb do you mean the circuit board? if so, i'm afraid i don't know the answer to that as hadn't opened the front cover up. (I've managed to work out prv though!)

i only adjusted the pressure yesterday evening so don't think it's to do with that being too high...

"""I've only had one person come to take a look so far"""

That sounds as if you expected to have to get lots of different people to come and see it.

We go and diagnose the fault for a fixed fee and then ( if the client wants us to ) we fix it!

Tony Glazier

Agile said:
"""I've only had one person come to take a look so far"""

That sounds as if you expected to have to get lots of different people to come and see it.

We go and diagnose the fault for a fixed fee and then ( if the client wants us to ) we fix it!

Tony Glazier

If only there were more like you Tony ;)

Agile said:
These are quite repairable.

I dont think much of someone who "thinks" its the PCB.

A competent engineer will KNOW what the problem is !

Tony Glazier
This seems strange. It certainly isn't an answer to the question, nor does it contain any technical information. How odd. :confused:

Ah! I see :idea: . It's actually an answer to the question that the OP thought but didn't write down, which must have been What does Agile think of someone whom he's never met and knows nothing about?

:rolleyes:

Coo lummee - yet another psychic session, after molly idly wondered to herself whether or not Agile Services Ltd might remedy the problem for a fixed fee.

Hey! I guess molly's now wondering where Agile Services Ltd is based, and whether or not Tony himself would call round.

Tony? No answer to that one yet? I mean, she must be thinking along those lines, without any prompting from you of course!

Has anybody actually asked whether it's an electronic or perm. pilot ?

I didn't notice

as every good CORGI fitter here knows, the gas valve operation is different (boardwise)

OP do you have a means of testing the resistance of the gas valve solenoid, do you know what a solenoid is ?

I can probably diagnoese it quite easily if you have a meter and an ounce of common sense

molly27 said:
My boiler's pilot light is on...
raden said:
Has anybody actually asked whether it's an electronic or perm. pilot ?

I didn't notice
Indeed not - perhaps you were preoccupied with avoiding taking yourself seriously?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back