potterton puma 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just discovered this site can any one give me some advice
I have a potterton puma combi boiler I have hot water but no central heating. if the pump is cold and I use switch on boiler to switch on ch the boiler fires up for a few seconds then switchs itself off
any ideas please

Sponsored Links
Try isolating the cold mains to the boiler and then see if the heating comes on.

Most likely to be a failed wax capsule type diverter valve within your boiler has failed. Other things to check , is the auto air vent operational , not sludged with corrosion.Also ensure pump is operating. This type of boiler , on demand for heating , fires up the burner , pump runs and circulates water thro diverter valve . The wax capsule , on sensing heated water , expands and moves a steel rod within the valve , to open to the heating port.This results in heated water circulating to the radiators.BUT , if you have any dripping hot water taps , or , a water leak on any part of the domestic hot water pipework leaving the boiler , the valve will fail to open. Hope this is of use to you . If not , use an engineer familiar with this boiler , to effect a repair .Alternatively , BAXI/POTTERTON , and B.GAS . ,will carry out a fixed price , guaranteed repair.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.
would the boiler fire up at all if the pump was needing replaced
do I have to turn off the cold water supply.
when I had a bath last night I discovered that the hot water tap had been left dripping all day but I tried the ch again today after making sure the taps were turned off and again the boiler fired up lasted a few minites then turned itself off
what do I do next?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back