potterton puma 80e not heating up rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help i have a puma 80e combi. the hot water is running fine but i have no hot water going to the rads the boiler fires up fine when i flip the switch to constant or timed but i get no flow to the rads i think it sounds like the pump but i wouldn't know where to find it any one got any ideas!!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
If the hot water is ok then the pump is circulating round the boiler. Is the heat actually leaving the boiler on the flow pipe at all?

make sure you have no dripping taps or water leaks on the hot water supplies. to test try turning off the incoming main and see if the heating then works

Sponsored Links
the boiler fires up perfectly where is this diverter. The presure gauge is fine and there are no dripping taps. my field is electronics and IT ive already had to fix the pcb. cheap as chips pcbs

there is a lot already in the forum to search at which are worth reading.

best to get a manual from parts arena (the link i use is www.partsarena.com/baxi/System/index.htm)

dripping from the dhw (mainly taps) is clear fav.

my 1st thought was the pump. i drained the system a bit and took the pump off by removing the 2 off allen screws and run it (the forum suggests holding a screw driver against the pump) to be sure the impeller was running.

next thought was the diverter (from the manual fault tree). not easy to get it off (the back nut needs the frame bending to get access - a tip from the forum). i took the wax end off and tested to see if the plunger operated in boiling water which it did. then reassembly to check the diverter works having put the wax capsule end back in water - chk operation by blowing into the outlet end. so my diverter is ok

not sure what to check next - thoughts are DHW flow switch, the red isolating valve and the internal pipework now i've got the diverter off.

will keep you posted

tried internal and field pipework today by using plastic pipe (sealing it in the boiler pipes with my hand) and blowing into the plastic. both showed no blockages.

So decided to refill and re test boiler. this time i did get hot water through the ch flow pipe but noticed that return pipe close to the boiler got very hot. there was a distinct cycle: boiler lit, return pipe heats up, diverter opens just as boiler trips on overheat, return pipe goes cold and flow pipe gets hot, diverter closes.

decided to take wax capsule assy part of the diverter off again and removed the wax capsule from inside by using a socket on the nut in the face of the assembly. cleaned it all up. tested the capsule itself in hot water and again seemed to operate ok. retested boiler again with better but same results.

followed their instruction detailed in the post "Potterton Puma ” and i am back up and running on CH all ok.

:D

Maybe it is time for a wiki or FAX that says; if you got a puma, check the valve and the diverter before posting here

Can anyone tell me what each of the two pots on the PCB are to set?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back