Potterton Puma 80e problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having some problems with my Potterton Puma 80e boiler, and was hoping some of you might be able to help.

The symptoms are as follows:

1. sometimes when I switch the central heating on the boiler fires up for about thirty seconds, then switches off. It then does nothing for about 30 minutes or more. Then it just starts to work as normal. The hot water works fine throughout.

2. sometimes after the boiler has been working normally for about two or three hours, it just stops firing up, and the radiators start to cool down. Sometimes when this happens, the hot water is also affected. You switch on the hot tap, and nothing happens in the boiler -- and no hot water. Eventually, typically the next day, everything starts to work as normal again.

3. during 1 & 2 above, the boiler usually makes a lot of noise, as if it's "straining", and there's also the sound of what seems like water flow.

Always, after I use hot water, the boiler makes a lot of noise for a short period of time, whether or not the central heating is on ... but maybe that's normal.

The pressure indication is normal, and no warning indicators are present.

Any ideas? I'd be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
sounds like divertor valve is not moving accross, combined with dhw presure diff/switch sticking...

make sure you dont have any dripping hot taps, as this will prevent the divertor from moving into heating.

sounds to me like you need an RGI to replace wax capsual in DV and sort the preasure diff...

Sponsored Links
sometimes when I switch the central heating on the boiler fires up for about thirty seconds, then switches off. It then does nothing for about 30 minutes or more. Then it just starts to work as normal.

Sounds like a divertor valve fault.

sometimes after the boiler has been working normally for about two or three hours, it just stops firing up, and the radiators start to cool down. Sometimes when this happens, the hot water is also affected. You switch on the hot tap, and nothing happens in the boiler -- and no hot water. Eventually, typically the next day, everything starts to work as normal again

A bit unsure about that at the mo :confused:

Always, after I use hot water, the boiler makes a lot of noise for a short period of time, whether or not the central heating is on ... but maybe that's normal.

Its not normal, and your flow switch is worn.

Paul.

When it stops working does the pump conti9nue to run?

That might be an overheating problem but if it was then it would usually reset after 30-40 minutes when it cools down.

Be aware that these boilers are now about 12-15 years old and getting rather long in the tooth. Still perfectly repairable though.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back