Potterton Puma wax capsule

As previously mentioned check the flow restrictor on the isolating valve - just cut out the centre.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I am not sure where you are at on the fault tree. energising the diverter valve is already happening as this is what the wax capsule does and produces CH.

I've not had this problem myself so take the thoughts lightly - suggest you take the wax capsule head off again. This being to retrace your steps ie the DHW was working before the capsule was changed. So in changing the capsule something is now not quite as it should be. It's possible of course for a 2nd fault to have just happened but unlikely.

Looking at fig 2 in the manual (flow schematic) and fig 22 the horizontal pipe going into the wax capsule head is directly from the cold mains (item 91 gasguru stated). suggest with the head off

1) very gently turn 91 water mains to on and see if water passes. get ready with a bowl as i am sure it will come at pressure
2) blow into the corresponding inlet on the wax capsule head. air should come out of the vertical outlet really easy. there should be no air coming out anywhere else

If these work then i think the diverter valve is working ok

Next
3) open a hot tap and with a piece of plastic pipe seal with your hand inside the vertical pipe blow into it and air should pass

if it does then i would think there is no blockage. No further ideas other than there is a DHW manual flow restrictor that can be adjusted with an allen key (fig 13 in the manual) but i am not convinced as you had DHW ok before and that has not changed.

Are all the wires on the various components - sometimes its easy to knock something off without realising?

:confused:

Have removed the restricter on the inlet valve and also fully opened the DHW manual flow adjuster, no difference.

The diverter valve itself has no means that I can see to stop the hot water flow.

Try undoing the connection to 110, where the washer 109 is shown. Easy to get at. Water should squirt out of there too.

110 is shown in the diagram on the link above which gasguru provided.

It refers to the DHW Flow Switch.

The diverter valve itself has no means that I can see to stop the hot water flow

I am looking at fig 2 in the manual which shows the flow of hot water. Since dhw flowed before the wax capsule was replaced i feel it's a suspect area.

You said you got squirted in the eye undoing front nut of the wax capsule head. The o ring on the front of the capsule seals the DHW from the CH. If it's not seated correctly then you don't know if you were hit by cold water in from the mains (dhw circuit) or central heating water. Perhaps switch your mains off and try the nut again this would prove or otherwise assuming the CH is at pressure.

Think my last post might be rubbish. There are 2 holes in the casing of the wax capsule head which i think would leak if the water from CH was crossing to DHW. sorry.

I must have a different manual as fig 2 in mine shows how to wire a plug, fig 1 shows the flow but no 109 or 110.

I am still at a loss, how many possible barriers are there between the mains water inlet and the dhw outlet? I am looking at the expansion vessel and the dhw flow switch, it can't be an electrical problem as the water used to flow with the boiler off at the mains.

Look at the link in my posting further back.

How did you isloate the boiler?

Have you got a stopcock under the boiler - is it fitted backwards?

Next time buy a complete diverter and either swap the whole thing or replace the front end and inards from the back section.

The link fig is for puma 80 and is vastly different from my puma 100e, the stopcocks all appear to be working. I have already replaced the whole diverter valve but this may have been pointless as I only replaced it due to the lack of water and thinking I hadn't fitted the wax valve properly.

The only difference on your boiler is an extra circuit board, slightly different gas valve and user interface board, the hydraulics are the same.

What hot taps have you got? Do they have aerators/filters in the outlets - are they blocked?

Again how did you isolate the boiler? Did you use the boiler isolating valve or a stopcock feeding the boiler? Is it fitted the correct way round? Look at the arrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back