Potterton Suprima 100L cuts out-11 Brit Gas visits in 4+ wks

Cutting out problem started with pressure dial going down to 0 and I had to keep increasing the pressure and restarting the boiler. Then noticed rusty coloured water emitted outside from flue.

gotta be the heat ex leaking , dont think i would be paying for a powerflush if this turns out to be the problem.

i disagree. when a suprima h/e goes it just goes. you would have water pouring out the bottom of it. it certainly wouldn't be coming out of the flue.

flush is guaranteed for life, either yours or the boilers as long as you stay on contract.

each flush will be done differently according to the state of the water/pipes/rads.

Sponsored Links
do you know if it has the flow switch fitted? thats a possibility.

ll its likely to need is a proper diagnosis like a thermal survey, dynamically checking the working pressure etc.

Unfortunately, few in BG are experienced at that and prefer to change a part and pass it to the next one in line.

If you lived locally I would risk a visit to diagnose the problem but that would cost you and you would then have to reclaim the cost from BG which should not be difficult in your case. In fact it would pay them to get me to come as their costs dealing with you must exceed what you are paying them ( if one ignores the power flush which you are not going to pay for. )

Tony Glazier

Guaranteed for life or until the boiler is 10 years old ? I would check "all" the small print.

Where did you find that it says that? :?:

One of my own customers told me, she had a brand new boiler fitted this August by BG, wonder why that was, wonder why they didn't fit T/valves as per part l, not that I was bothered, was a job for me, "according to the old lady" they wanted "xtra" to fit t/valves, 6, wanted nearly £400.00, so she said no, did me a favour.

And there's me thinking you had to fit T/valves to the bedrooms as part of the boiler swop, silly me......

Sponsored Links
ll its likely to need is a proper diagnosis like a thermal survey, dynamically checking the working pressure etc.

Unfortunately, few in BG are experienced at that and prefer to change a part and pass it to the next one in line.

If you lived locally I would risk a visit to diagnose the problem but that would cost you and you would then have to reclaim the cost from BG which should not be difficult in your case. In fact it would pay them to get me to come as their costs dealing with you must exceed what you are paying them ( if one ignores the power flush which you are not going to pay for. )

Tony Glazier

Hello Tony - I will mention this to them and see what they say. How do I find you??

BG now coming Monday to fit new heat exchanger and possible second power flush.

Last night only had heating on and cut out 5 times between 7pm and 7 am. Had to get up at 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. as so cold.

This morning put hot water on (with heating switched off) for 30 minutes, then switched back to heating only. Has been on all day without a problem.

Drives me mad how can be OK for hours, and then play up.

Have discussed all the suggestions made up to last night with BG and they say they have done them all. On Monday when they come will discuss the others!

So thanks again. Will put on a smiling smiley when this is fixed if ever.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Agree totally with nickso about flowswitch, if not connected to plastic pipework, this can be safely bridged out.

The brown water in the flue sounds like the boiler flue gases may be condensing, so would also have concerns about the working pressure at the boiler.

Another not so common fault on these boilers if fitted in cupboards, is the solenoids on the gas valve dropping out when hot. All suprimas over 60 require compartment ventilation.

Cutting out problem started with pressure dial going down to 0 and I had to keep increasing the pressure and restarting the boiler. Then noticed rusty coloured water emitted outside from flue.

gotta be the heat ex leaking , dont think i would be paying for a powerflush if this turns out to be the problem.

ditto

Success?! 24 hours since B Gas Visit No. 12 and looks like the boiler isn't cutting out any more. They fitted a new Heat Exchanger and new Thermostat in hot water tank and strapped it correctly to the tank (as since Visit No. 3 the hot water has been boiling - I noticed after that visit the thermostat was hanging much more loosely - but in all fairness it wasn't strapped before).

B Gas say the power flush they did previously (which didn't correct the cutting out) was needed as they definitely noticed a restriction in the water flow while the flush was on (I did see 'breaks' in the water flow when they did the flush). And it was likely that any sludge had entered the heat exchanger. So the £800 bill still stands.

However, since they came yesterday, have a new problem. One of the radiators is boiling hot and won't turn down or off. I suppose this is not as a result of anything the engineer has done wrong - but strange happened immediately after. Have left a message for B Gas. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :mrgreen: :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back