Potterton Suprima 40

Calm down you professional bods! ;)

I'm so glad I've now found out via these forums that I'm not the only person to suffer from this problem. At first we were told it was a pressure problem and that there must be a leak somewhere, and sure enough the pressure in the system was down slightly and it was sorted. But now it's back with a vengance and it astonishes me that a major manufacturer can get away with something that quite obviously is seen by many (trade it would seem) as not fit for purpose.

Anyway, I'm not about to go on a one man crusade against Potterton - I just want a working boiler (and I don't mean the wife :p )

So this part 5111603 - is it straightforward to fit for a competent DIYer? Or does it involve more than simply swapping a board? If it really shouldn't be fitted by anything other than trade then will they fit it if I have sourced it?

I would welcome your advice.

Thanks guys.

Snash

Sponsored Links
Softus you are becoming a right pedantic tosser ! the guy only wants to know how easy it is to change the pcb ! :mad:

To fit this new pcb upgrade kit is quite tricky although it does come with full instructions but it does also involve replacing the whole wiring harness and leads so can be a bit tricky ;)

gazthepottertonengineer said:
Softus you are becoming a right pedantic t****r !
Better than being an abusive t****r who doesn't know the law that governs the trade he works in.

...the guy only wants to know how easy it is to change the pcb ! :mad:
Well, it is easy, but you've seen fit to him that it's tricky.

Snash - it's easy. Isolate electrically first, take it step by step, make a note of everything you remove or undo, and fit the new one in reverse order. If you own the house that the boiler is in, and can perform the job competently, then you will not be breaking the law.

Sponsored Links
[quote="Softus Well, it is easy, but you've seen fit to him that it's tricky.

[/quote]

What is that supposed to mean i thought you were intelligent so type in english

Please make sure you put the room sealed cover back on correctly after replacing the whole wiring harness as failure to do this could cause the appliance to leak carbon monoxide and i unlike Softarse dont want you killing yourself or your family

Softus said:

Quite right - fair point - I missed out a word. You're right that I'm intelligent, but I'm also human, and never claimed to be perfect. The sentence should have read like this:

Well, it is easy, but you've seen fit to tell him that it's tricky.

Please make sure you put the room sealed cover back on correctly after replacing the whole wiring harness as failure to do this could cause the appliance to leak carbon monoxide and i unlike Softarse dont want you killing yourself or your family
I see - you have no means of backing your claim that it's a room sealed case, so you've reverted to libel. How childish.

So, Gaz, is replacing the case the "tricky" bit that you were referring to? Or there are other tricky bits that you're not willing to reveal?

softus said:
gazthepottertonengineer wrote:
Softus wrote:

Quite right - fair point - I missed out a word. You're right that I'm intelligent, but I'm also human, and never claimed to be perfect. The sentence should have read like this:

Well, it is easy, but you've seen fit to tell him that it's tricky.

gazthepottertonengineer wrote:

I see - you have no means of backing your claim that it's a room sealed case, so you've reverted to libel. How childish.

So, Gaz, is replacing the case the "tricky" bit that you were referring to? Or there are other tricky bits that you're not willing to reveal?

you dont half talk some *******s mister

as soon as you open the case you are in the brown sticky stuff

quote your half a r s e d regs to your hearts content

it dosen't mean js to the reg installer

the combustion chamber is part of the flue system END OF :rolleyes:

I found the first one I did quite tricky, but now I'm into treble figures they now seem quite easy but then of course I am a heating engineer and did already know my way around a suprima. I would say for a layman fitting a first one that it is quite tricky....especially if you bother to try and get all the wires into the clips.

kevplumb said:
you dont half talk some **** mister
Why thank you; the feeling is entirely mutual. Before this topic I thought you were experienced and knowledgable, but now I can see that you're just experienced.

kevplumb said:
as soon as you open the case you are in the brown sticky stuff
Well I can see that you're not alone with that opinion, but that's not enough to make you right.

kevplumb said:
quote your half a r s e d regs to your hearts content
Wrong on all counts - they're not my regulations, they're not half-ars*d, and I haven't quoted them.

kevplumb said:
it dosen't mean js to the reg installer
Unclear - are you saying that the law means nothing to registered installers?

kevplumb said:
Again with the rolling eyes - there's a month full of work for a decent optician, on this topic alone!

If you are right, why do you get so irate? And why can't you provide any reference to any document anywhere on the planet that corroborates your opinion?

Really enjoyed reading this thread gaz . for a boiler that isnt a bag a crap it seems to has more links on this forum than any other boiler . i would expect a little bias opinion with that user name. Im not slagging off the make its the model thats a disaster. Profiles & primas were fine but if a manufactuer gets it wrong they should sort it in my opinion.

Yeah it's great that pumas, lynxs, barcelonas, bahamas, baxi 100 etcs, solos have quality, reliable pcbs.....phew.

Softus said:
Snash said:
I'm so glad I've now found out via these forums that I'm not the only person to suffer from this problem.
before you ask a question please read this

and also forum rule 20

I had a look through the rules and wasn't aware of breaking any when making my post. If I have I'm sorry but perhaps you'd be as well to point out which particular rule you appear to imply I have breached. I'd have thought that, given your pc, you might have pointed a n00b in the right direction rather than leaving a blunt and rather unhelpful message.

<snip>
To fit this new pcb upgrade kit is quite tricky although it does come with full instructions but it does also involve replacing the whole wiring harness and leads so can be a bit tricky ;)

Is there an on-line location for the manual that would give me a good look at what I'd have to do?

<snip>

Snash - it's easy. Isolate electrically first, take it step by step, make a note of everything you remove or undo, and fit the new one in reverse order. If you own the house that the boiler is in, and can perform the job competently, then you will not be breaking the law.

Thanks, that was something that was concerning me.

<snip>

Softus said:

Guys, I don't think anyone's trying to kill anybody here but the room sealed cover is a concern to me. How do I tell if it's a room sealed cover? - maybe that question in itself tells me 'm not going to even attemot this ;)

kevplumb said:
<snip>

Presumably this meaning that it needs to be resealed properpy and professionally to avoid CM leaks?

ollski said:
I found the first one I did quite tricky, but now I'm into treble figures they now seem quite easy but then of course I am a heating engineer and did already know my way around a suprima. I would say for a layman fitting a first one that it is quite tricky....especially if you bother to try and get all the wires into the clips.

That's enough for me I think!

Guys thanks for your thoughts on this. Last question, these PCB kits seem expensive over the counter but are selling on eBay for about half the price (£100). Would you buy from eBay and, more to the point, if you were presented by a householder with a sealed and what looked genuine kit would you install it in their boiler?

Thanks.

Snash

Snash said:
Guys thanks for your thoughts on this. Last question, these PCB kits seem expensive over the counter but are selling on eBay for about half the price (£100). Would you buy from eBay and, more to the point, if you were presented by a householder with a sealed and what looked genuine kit would you install it in their boiler?

Thanks.

Snash

Yes but I wouldn't offer any sort of guarantee on it and that includes a guarantee that it works on completion of fitting. They are mostly fine though as the majority have been stolen from emplyers.

Snash said:
Softus said:
I had a look through the rules and wasn't aware of breaking any when making my post.
I assumed that you were unaware, which is why I drew your attention to the rules.

Snash said:
If I have I'm sorry...
There's no call for an apology, least of all to me, but if it would offend you to reject it then I wholeheartedly accept.

Snash said:
...but perhaps you'd be as well to point out which particular rule you appear to imply I have breached.
Erm, could it be rule 20 that I was referring to - the one I mentioned (see above)?

Snash said:
I'd have thought that, given your pc, you might have pointed a n00b in the right direction rather than leaving a blunt and rather unhelpful message.
I'd have thought so too, which is why I did point you in the right direction. Could you tell me exactly which bit of my post to was (a) blunt and (b) rather unhelpful? Did you click on the links?

Snash said:
Is there an on-line location for the manual that would give me a good look at what I'd have to do?
Certainly - click on this and navigate down to the installation instructions for your boiler.

Snash said:
<snip>...then you will not be breaking the law.
Thanks, that was something that was concerning me.
You're welcome:cool:

Snash said:
<snip>Please make sure you put the room sealed cover back on correctly after replacing the whole wiring harness as failure to do this could cause the appliance to leak carbon monoxide and i unlike Softarse dont want you killing yourself or your family
Guys, I don't think anyone's trying to kill anybody here but the room sealed cover is a concern to me. How do I tell if it's a room sealed cover? - maybe that question in itself tells me 'm not going to even attemot this ;)
The seal is a squidgy but high quality foam strip that seals the front case to the main case. If hasn't been damaged then it will stay put, and if you're competent then it's impossible to replace the case wrongly.

Snash said:
kevplumb said:
<snip>
Presumably this meaning that it needs to be resealed properpy and professionally to avoid CM leaks?
Properly - yes; competently - yes; easily - yes; professionally - no.

Snash said:
Guys thanks for your thoughts on this. Last question, these PCB kits seem expensive over the counter but are selling on eBay for about half the price (£100). Would you buy from eBay
Personally, no.

Snash said:
...and, more to the point, if you were presented by a householder with a sealed and what looked genuine kit would you install it in their boiler?
Personally, no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back