potterton suprima 40

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all

I have just replaced the thermostat and pcb on this boiler now i cannot start the heating on its own,i have to put the water on then click the heating button :oops:

any ideas were i have gone wrong or what maybe the cause of this?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
See Breezer's post at the top.
Sounds like your programmers thrown a wobbly. The boiler doesn't know why it has been turned on!

1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)

potterton suprima 40

2) What is / is not happening

central heating wont start from the digi panel,hot water will

3) Has ANYTHING else been done / changed recently

changed the thermostat and the pcb

4) When did it (problem) start

after i replaced these parts

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off

when the timer is on its ok 'cos the water is running

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance

have i replaced everything correctly :oops:

were and how will i get hold of that chris ?

thanks

Get hold of what - the wobbly?
Do you have 2 x 2 port or 1 x 3port valves. ?

Can't see how what you have done could lead to what you've got...

Sponsored Links
do you know any wobbly stockists? :LOL:

Chris i havent got a clue about valves or boilers,i found this site by accident and just followed advice given in other threads which has helped but as i say the problem isnt 100% fixed yet. were should i start?

thanks for your patience

Typical case of too much money and very little trust.

In the first instance why was the pcb replaced? and then why the thermostat (if it is the thermostat you changed). Thermostat on this boiler is a variable resistor. The component that senses heat is known as a thermistor.

You MUST ONLY take guidance from advise given in the forums. To assume something and then start changing parts can lead to trouble. Clealy that is what appears to be the case here.

Boiler does not know if the demand is for hot water or CH. These demands are from external sources.

Right firstly i spoke to a couple of plumber/central heating/pirate type characters and asked their opinion on what could be the cause of the boiler not firing up at all.

All the same answers "thermostat or pcb". I have a look on internet to find out what a pcb is and what price am i looking at to replace either of these parts. Find the section on here about solder cracks and off i go.

No cracks or the like (but there is a scorch mark on the pcb) so its either £16 for a thermostat £161 for a pcb or open the front door and let the the plumber/pirate take what he wants.Chose the cheapest option and it worked for two days the the same problem occurs so i paid then for the pcb which has worked so far but i cant put the heating on,on its own the water has to go on as well.

hope it makes sense :confused:

Still feel you should look at the programmer and how it's connected.
The boiler inputs are exactly the same regardless of what is calling for heat.

pcb or thermistor can not cause this problem you need to look at your 3 way valve if it is a Potterton or Myson with two little red neons than this is the likley cause

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back