POTTERTON SUPRIMA 40HE FAULT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been asked to look at a mates faulty boiler! :(

The three lights on the front were all out! There was power going to the boiler so I assumed a problem with the PCB.

I acquired a new PCB and installed it :)

We then had an array of lights etc and all was looking good.

BUT! When I connected the last multi pin connector in the side of the PCB everything changed. The power light just flashed and we had no other responses.

If I disconnect the connector the fan starts and it sounds like everything is going to work.....but 'locks out' after a few minutes!! :(

If I reconnect the connector it just reverts to the power on light flashing and nothing else!!

I have traced the pin connector and it is the GAS VALVE cable....two wire black and red!

Is this pointing to a faulty valve or something else??

Cheers
CRAIG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I was asking for an opinion......I never said I was going to fix it myself.
If I can then impart this information to a third party then it may be possible to keep costs etc. down and get a mate back in the warm!!

Why would your "mate" ask you to look at his boiler knowing full well that you're not qualified to repair it?
You've already fitted a pcb after guesswork. Tell your mate to call a pro.

Power to the PCB........Nothing out!!

Not quite guesswork...more 'common sense!'

And you know I'm not qualified because???

I understand that the PCB in its 'box' is a replaceable item.....

I had power going to the PCB but no evidence that there was any power after the switch! PCB came from a reputable dealer :)

Gas valves are beyond my scope so I would have been able to draw a line between DIY and call a pro.

I am on a comedy course!

Always looking out for new jokes!

Quite a good joke for engineers that you spent your money on something which would not fix the problem!

Not so funny that you are attempting boiler repairs when not Gas Safe registered and whilst uninsured!

Start with the parts you can repair.....work your way through until you have to call the professionals!!

The PCB was 'obviously' faulty or the light would have been on! Once replace the lights are working.

Do you need to be GAS SAFE to change a PCB?

The PCB was 'obviously' faulty or the light would have been on! Once replace the lights are working.

Really? So its not possible for another faulty component to cause a boiler pcb to appear dead?

Do you need to be GAS SAFE to change a PCB?

Perhaps. You have to be competent.

Start with the parts you can repair.

You can't though can you.

It should be:

"Start with the bits that are broken"

If you had half an idea, you would know that these boilers can have primary faults that make it appear the board is dead.... a duff PCB is only a secondary issue.

Call a professional before you embarrass yourself further.

• Thanks
Reactions: oph

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back