Potterton Suprima 60 sounds like a steam train

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This boiler has always been noisy and on the recommendation of a plumber I dosed the system with fernox. What a result - silent for a few weeks but now it sounds like a steam train! Chuff chuff chuff. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Probably pumping over if a conventional system ( shouldn't be ) or the pressure relief valve is leaking ( perhaps because the filling loop is leaking ).

My obvious question is why dont you ask the same plumber again?

Tony Glazier

I,ve had that problem before, unable to solve it though :cry: checked everything on the boiler found no faults, phoned potterton they had never heard of it before.
all that i can suggest is the pump going fast enough, is the boiler fitted on a plasterboard wall as have seen other suprimas make the noise but no were as bad as the one fitted on plasterboard wall as opposed to solid.

will be interesting to see if it gets solved

Why don't I ask the same plumber? I asked the same plumber, who then wanted to charge me £600 to flush the system as "the fernox had released the sludge in the system, which is causing the noise". I am thinking he may not be the most reputable source ...

Sponsored Links
this noise is down to sludge in the heat exchanger you can either take it out and try to clean it out or replace it !! but make sure you flush the rest of the system properly or it will just happen again :rolleyes:

Actually I know what that plumber means although its not expressed very well.

He means that the Fernox has loosened the sludge particles and they have settled into the heat exchanger because its top fed.

Totally at your own risk you could add half a box of DS40 into the system, circulate cold for an hour then gradually warm it up to about 50*C and leave circulating on CH for a few hours. Then completely drain and flush out twice before adding inhibitor.

This will almost certainly cure it but at the risk of causing leaks in valves and radiators if they are in poor condition.

Use of chemicals is dangerous and should only be done by competent persons using the correct safety equipment.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back