Potterton Suprima 60 and funny noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All...

Potter Suprima 60 Combi boiler...is making noises directly from the boiler, I can only describe as steam train noises!

Weeks ago, called Brit Gas ( as per home cover) to discover the system was kettling...and not covered by the home policy.

Anyway...bought some fernox cleaner, ran it for two weeks in the system...
Drained it down, took all rads off into the garden, and systematically flushed em out, plastic mallet'ing every rad till pure clean water ran out.

Re-installed rads...Placed fernox inhibitor into the system, and all seemingly ran very very quiet...

Started few days ago to get some 'bumpin' and rattling noises...bought Fernox Boiler silencer...

And now its bloomin awful...the noise i can only describe as a small steam train....all rads bled and 100% (to my knowledge) no cold spots etc...

Any idea? New pump in boiler? possible air blockage?

ps...got most of my tips for doing the jobs from here, but can't find a similar thread to my issue?

Look forward to any ideas/suggestions!

Cheers

Clakkers
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I would strongly recomend you get someone to take a look. If it is kettling then you must either have air in the boiler or its over heating. If its over heating then it should be discharging via the blow off. The unsafe issue is that if it is overheating and not locking out then you could potentially have super heated steam in your boiler which could be fatal if the discharge fails. Please call a heating engineer, i dont want to panic you unduely but it is better to be safe than sorry.

AshadPlumber

Greatly appreciate your post, wished it wasn't so serious tho!

Overheating sounds right. The boiler is very hot to the touch, but i can never remember touching it in the past to compare it.

Another thought about the sound it makes...you mention superheated steam, the sound could be interpreted as tho little water is making it thru, and 'burning' off very quickly as it runs thru...

The temperature valve on the boiler itself I have turned down slightly, and the noise is much less...but i guess atm its reached a kinda peak anywany, only when the system is turned down at the thermo and then back up at night, will i really notice the noise again.( or early hours as was this morn )

Wheres the blow off?

ps really appreciate your taking the time to post mate, thank you.

**EDIT**

How do i clear air out of the boiler? i drained the system before, never had this issue, and only parlty drained (500ml) to put in the silencer.

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is definately a combi, then the blow off should come off the bottom of the boiler and go directly outside. If the boiler is getting very hot then it should be cutting out on the thermo stat. If its not a combi then its just that like you say the water is not circulating through the heat exchanger as it should

didnt know they done a suprima combi

Is it a system boiler or just a normal Suprima?
Does the heating system work correcttly?

Phew...System boiler...omg...im so sorry...I dont think it is combi
re AshadPlumber...no blow off...doh! MY BAD! i HAVE A HOT WATER TANK ON THE LANDING...S;DFKS;DFK FL SFKSLF;KS FALS;KFLSF F
tWGAS - MY APOLOGIES.

Heating appears to be fine as does hot water...I have turned the thermo down on the boiler, and it 'appears' to have reduced the effect...its not firing so often, so I guess its peaked 'temp' atm...

Thanks again guys for your time.(aw gawd, feelin so stoopid now)

I would suggest you or someone drains down the boiler and you put an automatic air vent on both the primary flow and return off the top of the boiler. This is very frustrating and quite hard to resolve cause the air traps in the boiler. I thought it was strange to have this issue n a combi, as they are pressurised and sealed.

I would suggest you or someone drains down the boiler and you put an automatic air vent on both the primary flow and return off the top of the boiler. This is very frustrating and quite hard to resolve cause the air traps in the boiler. I thought it was strange to have this issue n a combi, as they are pressurised and sealed.

AshadPlumber...Many many thanks for your time...I am so sorry and dumb...
Your suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Baxpoti - Thank you too m8...sorry i got it wrong.

Great responses from all..incedible to come to a forum and not be criticised(publicly at least) ...your a credit to the forums guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back