Power cables in the wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a ceiling mounted projector and I’m getting the room plastered and painted.

Instead of putting a new socket in I was going to run the cable in the wall in some trunking to the nearest socket, pop out of the wall and into the socket. I’ll use over- rated cabling to make up the power cord myself

That should save me the cost of an electrician. Anyone think there’s a big issue with that?

Sponsored Links
i have a ceiling mounted projector and I’m getting the room plastered and painted.

Instead of putting a new socket in I was going to run the cable in the wall in some trunking to the nearest socket, pop out of the wall and into the socket. I’ll use over- rated cabling to make up the power cord myself

That should save me the cost of an electrician. Anyone think there’s a big issue with that?

I think it is a bodge. Do you round up cattle on horseback for a living?

Sponsored Links
Is there enough room to cover the trunking with plasterboard (otherwise the new plaster will crack off in about an hour) without having to hack too much wall out? If you do do this, make sure the trunking goes up the wall directly above the socket (keeps the cabling in a safe zone). Extending a ring final (or in this case spurring off one) is not notifiable in England so you could just wire in a new socket using T & E high up the wall (directly above existing socket for same reasons). Of course you still need a route for the signal cable.....

The cabling fits in standard trunking and the wall is thick enough to bury it and leave 6mm for plastering.

My original plan was to run that with one of these on each end

electrosmart White Single Gang Brushplate with White Brushes/Brush Strip Wallplate/Wall Plate/Faceplate Cable Tidy for Wall Mounted Plasma TV etc (Quantity 1) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TH4A15E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TiI4Db6RGSXGB

And use standard ‘long’ cables.

Will the cable socket fit through the trunking and through the "Brushplate", including allowing for the right-angle bending top and bottom?

Probably the HDMI would, bit not the power. It’ll move a little in the trunking so it won’t break the plaster work. I’m unlikely to want to change the cabling tbh.

If I do I can replace the cable ends myself.

additional clutter on the ceiling.
Why would installing a ceiling socket cause 'clutter'?

One of these in the ceiling, fully recessed, cover slides over to hide the sockets. All that's on show are the short cables between the outlet and the projector.
Outlets inside can be configured to whatever is required.

SB-M-ADV-UK-Slide-1.jpg

Still have no idea why concealing the equivalent of an extension lead in the ceiling and wall is even being considered.

Band I and Band II wiring must not be contained within the same trunking.

What do you mean by this?

Band I is a TV broadcast band 48 to 68MHz, no longer used in Europe.
Band II is the FM broadcast band.

What do you mean by this?

Band I is a TV broadcast band 48 to 68MHz, no longer used in Europe.
Band II is the FM broadcast band.
Once again you reveal how pointless it is for you to spout your nonsense when you have no idea what the wiring regulations say, because you have never had nor read a copy. Maybe time to stop posting, George?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back