Power Flush, been told it can't be done!

There's 9cm of pipe between the radiator's and the floor upstairs so that's 108cm of pipe and no kite mark, odds that its non barriered stuff?

Sponsored Links
you could get the system flushed then add 3 bottles of inhibitor with an extra bottle every 6 months...or rip it all out

I am surprised that no one else has suggested this to you!

You need to go and cold call on at least 12 neighbours keeping a record of the addresses and what they say.

Ask them how long they have been there for and what has been done with their heating systems.

With at least 12 homes, you are likely to get one or two who will be quite knowledgeable about their system and what they have had to do will be good guidance for you.

My advice would be to repipe the system and the cost might be about £300-£500 although others, particularly the Scottish, might have views on this.

Of course its quite possible there is not much wrong and the three cold rads could be easily fixed.

If there is dirt in the system then a magnetic filter in the return to the boiler would be a very good idea.

Tony

Repipe a system for 300 quid :eek: dont make me laugh that might just buy you the materials .Showing your lack of knowledge yet again Agile

Sponsored Links
My advice would be to repipe the system and the cost might be about £300-£500 although others, particularly the Scottish, might have views on this.

Really I would have thought that was the price for a power flush.

I've had a look at the pipes and they are grey in colour with blue a 'v' printed every 2cm or so, found some markings can't make out the first part '------ class S:10CCU]x1.6mm PB, I think that's what is says as the print is facing the wall and im looking at it with a small mirror.

May be HEP2O polybutylene (PB) pipe;

http://hep2o.wavin.com/Hep2o/Standards_and_Approvals.html

The original polybutylene HEP2O pipe was grey. Check with Hepworths about the markings on barrier and non-barrier pipe.

It sounds like the company have done a job on similar systems in the area and had their fingers severely burned. I'd go back and ask them what the problem is. Possibly non barrier tube, a defect in the systems allowing air in, weak joints (no inserts? that fail under pressure, when a power flushing machine is connected), etc..

OT

Have you tried turning off all the rads that work and leaving the ones which don't to see what happens?

Also rather than the expense of a pf why don't you like agile suggests fit a filter on the return but also drain a rad unless you fit a magnaclean and poor some sentinel x800 in and let it run and see if you get anyjoy. Also there shouldn't be a problem flushing 10mm pipe system/ rads individually.

Ninja Bump!

Update on this, my central heating started to break down again when I switched it on for the winter so I bit the bullet and got it completely replaced a month ago.

They removed the old pipes, rads & boiler. Fitted all new equipment and copper piping throughout, Rads' TVR's, controls, drain at the boiler, drain at every downstairs rad, Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 boiler.

Guaranteed all the pipework for 5 years & the boiler for 5 years via Vaillant as long as I get it serviced every year for £50/year.

Took 2 days and done a good job (as far as I can see) and all for under £4k.

God I hope I don't have bump this thread again!

That all sounds a bit extreme!

Did the five year old Viessmann really have to be replaced?

Why did you not just get it repiped as we advised?

Jimmy the guy you spoke to possibly knows what he is talking about, Plastic pipe can block up- I had a section just over 1000mm of 10mm pipe on a system at Pollokshaws Road that was blocked. Used a hand pump where the pressure was peaking very high but the muck did not shift. 22mm primaries from boiler to first branch were similarly blocked. Ended up repipeing the system.

Plastic pipe is plumbers dream but heating engineer's nightmare.

Chemicals will only work if there is some circulation

While above is one scenario, I am not suggesting your system is blocked up- could be other issues. A site visit would be needed to establish the root cause but the chap you called might be familiar with the system in that area. Though the idea of individual radiator removal to 'flush out' in the garden I take with a pinch of salt if the pipes are the culprit. You will have spent the money then to be told you need a repipe.

That all sounds a bit extreme!

Yes I suppose it may, but not that extreme when you have spent the last 12 or so winters without CH/HW from a few days to 4 weeks every year.

Did the five year old Viessmann really have to be replaced?

Possibly not but it was out of warranty and was breaking down on a regular basis, I spent the last 4 weeks before the new fit without CH/HW, the expansion vessel had gone, PRV gone, was giving a false temp reading and was dropping pressure, intermittent F5 error. TBH I was sick of the sight of it.

Why did you not just get it repiped as we advised?

I did not see the point in keeping the old rad's, I had been topping up the system every 2 months in the winter since the Viessmann install without rust inhibitor as I did not know any better and in any case most of the rads looked aged so to speak and did not want to take any potential problems forward to my new system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back