Power flush or not.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have a potterton 24 Eco HE boiler in a 2 storey house which has 9 rads. My hot water has slowed to a dribble, again. I had a Heateam engineer come round who said that the heat exchanger needed replacing again but as this is this would be the third time in six years that its been replaced I need to have a power flush. Is this correct or could it be another problem? I had a power flush about three years ago. I've read that the problem may be that the valve gauze is blocked. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
If the hot water flow from the tap has slowed to a dribble, a powerflush will only clean the primary side and will not cure your flow problem. I would be investigating the cold feed to the boiler and also the secondary side of the plate, and that would include any filters in the cold feed. There is a flow regulator and a filter fitted to your boiler.

we see this issue many times a week.

as said, a powerflush won't help!

what you require is the plate heat exchanger removing and cleaning in FX2. you also need a decent scale reducing device such as a Combimate.

this will solve your issues and prevent future recurring issues related to scale.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I have somebody coming to have a look at 4.30 today. I'll be sure to show him this thread.

I'm not sure what a combimate is but there is a Magna clean fitted, which has been there since March 09.

Is there anything further I should know?

Sponsored Links
Do you really mean that the flow from the hot tap is very low ?

Or do you mean you have to restrict it because if you run it too fast the water is not hot enough?

If it really is the former then it sounds as if you have a dripping tap or a crossover and the plate is getting blocked with calcium compounds.

That is best diagnosed by inspecting the plate! It should also have been pointed out by previous engineers who changed them.

Normally I clean the existing plate as that's cheaper for the customer.

Tony

Yes I mean the flow from the hot tap is very low.

I'll get the person coming round today to inspect the plate.

I should have said that the heateam engineer left me a new heat exchanger, which he said is to be fitted after the power flush.

Just to be clear, I'm not now going to have a power flush but will instead explore the avenues raised in this thread first.

Thanks!

A power flush will not solve the problem you have.

It needs a competent engineer who knows what he is looking for !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back