Power new light switch from existing light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Hope everyone's well.
I'm wanting to add a second lighting circuit to my bathroom controlled by a different switch (this will be for LEDs). I've bought a touch control switch which lets me choose colours/brightness etc. I'm planning to locate the new switch on the wall just below the existing light switch so my question is this if someone could offer advice - can I power the new light switch using a short cable link from the power feed terminals on the existing switch above? (I've got a three core feed into the existing switch).
I've attached a photo below of the new switch and the wiring diagram which just calls for a live and neutral into it.
Screenshot 2023-06-14 132106.jpg

Many thanks.
Regards,
Lee

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Then, yes, you can connect L & N to the new switch.
Thanks. So would it just be a case of running two individual strands from existing switch to new switch, I.e neutral-neutral and live-live? I take it I wouldn't need to keep them together in the grey coating with an earth strand? Or would I? :unsure: sorry if that's a mega stupid question :confused:

Thanks. So would it just be a case of running two individual strands from existing switch to new switch, I.e neutral-neutral and live-live?
Yes, but there is no neutral at the existing switch - just in the connector with the blue wires.
Plus the appropriate brown from the feed cable.

I take it I wouldn't need to keep them together in the grey coating with an earth strand? Or would I? :unsure: sorry if that's a mega stupid question :confused:
Strictly speaking it should be a piece of cable with sheathing (grey coating) as it will be going from one backbox to another - so not a stupid question

Oh, and you don't really need the earth wire.

Normally the earth wire should never be cut but as it will be only a few inches and easily replaceable should it ever be needed, you may as well pull it out.

Others might disagree.

Oh, and you don't really need the earth wire.

Normally the earth wire should never be cut but as it will be only a few inches and easily replaceable should it ever be needed, you may as well pull it out.

Others might disagree.
Great thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back