Power Shower Pump Not Cutting In

Sponsored Links
Hello
I now have my single impeller Showermate pump plumbed in between the shower mixer and the shower head as per the instruction manual.
It worked fine for the first couple of weeks coming on every time (and with the shower head in its normal position whereas previously I was having to lower the shower head). But for the last couple of days it has started to become erratic. Sometimes it comes on straight away however sometimes it does not kick in - you can hear a slight hum from the pump but it does not kick in and the water only comes in at slow pressure.
The cold water supply to the shower mixer is slightly higher pressure than the hot so as well as the water coming out at low pressure it is also cold.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Phil

That sounds like qablockage. Check the filters?
If the pump doesn't start reliably you add an air switch or momentary action pull switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris. Everything seems to be clear.
The pattern seems to be that if it works I can turn it off and back on again merrily and it will work every time but then if I use up a reasonable amount of water (i.e. have a shower) then it generally won't kick in, regardless of how many times I try. After a while it goes back to working again and works every time for a while.
It is in a positive head situation.
Does this sound like an air switch or momentary action pull switch would fix the problem?
If so are you aware of any sites with information on how to fit one / obtain one - sorry I'm not just trying to get you to do my donkey work honest, it's just that I've been having no luck finding any information from googling, possibly because I don't really know what I'm looking for.
Thanks again.
Phil

Hello
The instructions on my pump say "Do not install a non-return valve or devices which contain non-return valves in the suction (inlet) pipework to the pump. The pump must be free to vent to the supply tanks at all times".

My pump is fitted between the shower mixer and the shower head but I do have a non-return valve fitted on the hot feed to the shower mixer - does this still count as being in the inlet pipework? If so could this be the cause of the problem? If I remove the non-return valve then my overflow pipe starts spurting out water continuously. Is this anything to do with the pressures being different for the hot and cold feed to the shower?

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back