Power sockets in bedroom with shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Our bedroom has just been fitted with a shower cubicle built in a corner with stud partition on two sides. One side fitted with double doors opening into bedroom. The doors are to hide the shower cubicle and to match with our bedroom fitments. Our original intention was to have a larger en suite shower room complete with basin and toilet but as building progressed we realised that we couldn't walk around our queen size bed (can't get a smaller bed due to both of us having health problems that need space in bed), so reluctantly we had to cut the length of the room to just larger than cubicle size.)

The problem now is that we have just found out that we cannot have any power sockets in the room due to the placement of our beds and built in furniture all interfering with this '3m distance from the shower' regulation.

We find it hard to believe that all we have done is 'substitute power for a shower'. Does anyone know if there is a work around to this problem?

Sponsored Links
no, you can not have a socket in a bathroom, its for your own saftey

Could you post a picture?

Sounds like the stud partion and the double doors in to the shower room would make the shower room a seperate entity from the bedroom and thus the in bathroom / wet area rules MIGHT not apply.

A picture speaks a 1000 words :D

my thoughts exactly chri5..

"in a corner with 2 stud walls, one with a door in it" means that it's a seperate "shower room" in my mind..

best to check with the local LABC though since they will have final say as to what they will accept.. ( work will be notifiable since you would have to put in a light in the shower room.. )

Sponsored Links
Sounds like mine.
No probs as the shower is in another room. I didn't bother with the council part, just got a spark to wire up without that crap. Did a nice job too.

FatGit said:
Sounds like mine.
No probs as the shower is in another room. I didn't bother with the council part, just got a spark to wire up without that rubbish. Did a nice job too.

I am starting to think this might be a LABCO (cool acronym!) trying to goad us all into agreeing.

"Yeah, we do loads of notifiable work on the sly all the time"
"Oh really? would you like to come to my trap.......I mean house, and do some work for me?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back