Power supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

could anyone point me in the right direction.
i have xmas miniture led string lights and the power adaptor has failed on 2 of the sets, could i use any replacement power adaptor or dose it have to be excacly the same?
please see photos
any advice would be extreamy welcome.

thank yall

Attachments

• pow1.JPG
    pow1.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 76
  • pow.JPG
    pow.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 74
Sponsored Links
You'll need exactly the same specification (voltage, AC or DC and wattage) You'll probably find it easier and cheaper to buy a complete new set. How do you know it's the power modules that have failed and not the actual lighting sets.

You'll need exactly the same specification (voltage, AC or DC and wattage) You'll probably find it easier and cheaper to buy a complete new set.
Yes probably true
How do you know it's the power modules that have failed and not the actual lighting sets.
£22 and 4-6 weeks delivery: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33412579...7779&msclkid=c7ebee7f68ee11ea67288b0bd19479ad
£10 and take it home https://home.bargains/product/63771.../prestige-200-led-multifunction-lights?sc=111

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You need one which outputs 4.5v dc and 6watts or more.

Were it me needing one, I would be repurposing a 5v 2amp USB power adaptor, adding a suitable forward biased diode in series, to drop around 0.6v, and that would likely be near enough.

You need one which outputs 4.5v dc and 6watts or more. Were it me needing one, I would be repurposing a 5v 2amp USB power adaptor, adding a suitable forward biased diode in series, to drop around 0.6v, and that would likely be near enough.
I suppose that would be the 'safest' approach - but if it were me, I'm not sure that I would bother with any adapting/ 'repurposing'. For a start, the 4.5V output of the original may well not be all that accurate and, even if it is, what's 11% between friends ? ;)

Kind Regards, John

I suppose that would be the 'safest' approach - but if it were me, I'm not sure that I would bother with any adapting/ 'repurposing'. For a start, the 4.5V output of the original may well not be all that accurate and, even if it is, what's 11% between friends ? ;)

The LED's in Christmas chains seem to be already close to the limit, the 11% will reduce their life even more.

Had a look at my own lights, seems same spec. Easy timer, to set and reset timer press button for 3 seconds, 8 hours on/16 hours off, green light - timer is on. 8 function push button controller with timer. It then goes on to list the 8 functions.

So it is not a simple power supply. Maybe you can make the lights work, but not like orignal.

The LED's in Christmas chains seem to be already close to the limit, the 11% will reduce their life even more.
Possibly.

I've had several sets of lights like the OPs and, as per his experience, it's always been the PSUs, not the LEDs that have failed first. Because of that, I measured the output of a couple of the "4.5V" PSUs (when they were working!), whilst they were running their LEDs, with the same idea as you - hence to determine how much I perhaps ought to 'drop' the voltage from a 5V PSU to get close to the 'on load' output voltage of the supplied PSUs - and both of them appeared to be outputting around 5.6 V 'on load' - so I concluded that no 'dropping' was required ;)

Kind Regards, John

If that is supplying a set of lights that have any sequencing, a straight forward DC power supply will light only half of the LEDs.

If that is supplying a set of lights that have any sequencing, a straight forward DC power supply will light only half of the LEDs.
That was must first thought, but, on reflection, I see nothing in the labelling, nor any 'sequence control button' or suchlike,to suggest that it's anything other than a straight PSU. Indeed, if it were a 'polarity-reversing' sequencer, then this would be both misleading and meaningless ...

1702171580781.png

Kind Regards, John

£22 and 4-6 weeks delivery
Think your eBay-fu let you down there

A tenner on the slow boat from China:

Twelve quid from this country, maybe in time for Xmas:

As John says, looks to be a straight power supply so anything that is 4.5v and 1.2 amps (1200mA) or above should be fine if one is comfortable with mating the connectors (snip the wires if it's certain that the plug on the LEDs doesn't contain some flasher unit etc) - possibly a better option if multiple of the original power supplies have failed - bad batch or inherent flaw?

Last edited:
and both of them appeared to be outputting around 5.6 V 'on load' - so I concluded that no 'dropping' was required ;)

Sounds like the could be uncontrolled, transformer supplies. The ones here, are all SMPSU's, and a quick check suggests they are tightly voltage regulated.

Despite this, a couple of the chains have sections of LED's out, which was why I assumed they might be run near the limit. Unlike most LED's, they only need to survive a few days of Christmas.

That was must first thought, but, on reflection, I see nothing in the labelling, nor any 'sequence control button' or suchlike,to suggest that it's anything other than a straight PSU. Indeed, if it were a 'polarity-reversing' sequencer, then this would be both misleading and meaningless ...

View attachment 324592

Kind Regards, John
Of course manufacturers or chinese exporters amongst other never are misleading or meaningless ;)
1702207583238.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back