Power supply

Sounds like the could be uncontrolled, transformer supplies. The ones here, are all SMPSU's, and a quick check suggests they are tightly voltage regulated.
I'm sure mine must also be SMPSUs - they are far too light (and probably too small) than to be otherwise. I haven't tested them to see how the output changes with varying loads (or no load) - so mine could be 'well regulated', but regulated to a different voltage from that written on the tin :)
Despite this, a couple of the chains have sections of LED's out, which was why I assumed they might be run near the limit. Unlike most LED's, they only need to survive a few days of Christmas.
That was part of my thinking (probably rendering "+11%" not that big a deal). However, the main point of my last post was to indicate that if 4.5V is, indeed, the intended supply voltage (maybe already 'near the limit', as you say), then 5.6V (about +24%) doesn't seem to have done my LEDs any harm, over several years - as I said, it's the "PSUs" that seem to fail after a year or two, not the LEDs.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I saw a new fangled intelligent battery charger the other day for 12v and 24v batteries sold by amazon and others in the uk and europe.
lo and behold it states the input voltage as 100v ac to 220v ac so no good in 230v nominaly declared voltage countries then?

The complication I find is that I have a significant number of those types of controllers, including 6 of the exact model number as OP, mine however are multifunction devices of the style I linked to with the 2 pin and retaining collar connector.
1702230481957.png

Because I have those I didn't pay enough attention to OP pictures to realise it has the different connector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back