Power to Sockets Keeps Tripping

S

shelaghb

I have been advised that the modern type fuse box that I have is prone to going faulty after a couple of year. The problem is, the power keeps tripping and all the sockets in the house go off. The ceiling lights are not affected. Looking at the fuse box, from left to right, there is a large black button, this is the one that keeps dropping. The smaller ones remain in place. There is a button above this, which I have been told to press before resting, which I have tried but I'm still having the same problem. I am at present systematically trying to isolate different appliances, but up to now none have made any difference. As there are not many left to go now I would appreciate if anyone can confirm that these boxes have a relatively short life - 4 years.

Thank you in anticipation

Sponsored Links
It was my friends Husband who is an electrician. This has only been on the phone though as we live miles apart. However when I told my partner, who is working away, he was under the impression the the black button, was a test button only

From what you have typed it sounds like a split load db and your partner would be correct. The button is for the functional test of the RCD.
I am surprised at the advise you have received though as an RCD will work for years. I have one installed 15 or so years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted for a few more years yet.

How long is it taking to trip upon energising?
Is it almost instant or is it after some time

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies.

There is time between trips, and the longest being 12 hours - however it is random, no one activity seems to cause if - In fact it has tripped during the night - of course the fridge and freezer would still be switching on and off but nothing else. After posting I did see a similar post where it was suggested it could be mice. Well I do live pretty rural and I know they occasionally get under the floor through the air bricks. If they are the culprit how would you go about finding where th chewed bit is.

Have you tried taking the fridge off yet?

Regarding the mice, to find any damage wiring all you could do is visually look at the cabling in any accessible areas. The best thing you could do would be get an electrician to come and test the cabling.

Not yet, - at the moment I have my works computer equipment (I work from home) turned off. After that the only things left will be it will be the fridge, freezer hob and oven, then thats it, all the house will have been checked. To test the cabling, do all the floors have to come up.

Well I have seen this happen numerous times with fridges, and a couple with old washing machines so hopefully you may find that to be the problem.

Do you have a cooker switch that has a socket on it? and if so, is the cooker circuit on the same side of the RCD as the sockets?

Regarding of testing the cabling, it shouldn't be too much trouble. The electrician will need to isolate the supply and do some tests down the cables form the db. Hopefully there will be a suspect reading when carrying out an insualtion resistance test or even possibly continuity. They should then be able to pinpoint the problem ciruit, then they will have to do a test on the individual legs within that circuit. If they find a suspect leg, then it is that that may need to have access for it to be traced and inspected.

But it could be your fridge ;)

widdler";p="1291624 said:
Do you have a cooker switch that has a socket on it? and if so, is the cooker circuit on the same side of the RCD as the sockets?

Unfortunately, cannot positively answer your above question, but it possibly is. Regarding the fridge, well not long to wait on that one, as that is next on my list if I get no result with the PC equipment. I do thank you for all your time however, and if and when I get a result, I'll let you know

shelaghb";p="1291630 said:
Unfortunately, cannot positively answer your above question, but it possibly is.

Ok.

The reason I asked is because if your cooker panel has a socket, and your cooker circuit is NOT on the RCD side of the board (normally the case round here) then you could plug your fridge into that socket via an extension lead if necessary and that way you wouldn't let your milk go warm while testing that appliance.

Anyways, good luck

:)

Thank you for your replies.

There is time between trips, and the longest being 12 hours - however it is random, no one activity seems to cause if - In fact it has tripped during the night - of course the fridge and freezer would still be switching on and off but nothing else.

Not even the boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back