RCD socket tripped and now broken?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a RCD double socket in my garage which no longer appears to be working. The TEST button cannot be depressed, but when I hold the ON button the power is working, but as soon as I release my finger the button pops back and power cuts off.

I believe the rcd is wired directly back to the new fuse box (installed 5 years ago), but none of the fuses tripped on that.

I have a tumble dryer, freezer and radio connected to the socket. I have tried all these appliances separately and they all work. As far as I know no appliances, lights etc have failed.

I'm not sure of the socket make but it is labelled 'non-latching rcd socket rated tripping current 30ma'. It was installed about 5 years ago and has worked as required up until now.

Can anyone give me a bit of advice - is the socket broken, or is there an appliance which has caused the trip? I'm not at all electrically minded - is this a time to call an electrician?

Sponsored Links
It is probably at the end of its lifetime, they don't last forever.

Do you know if you have an RCD protecting this socket at your main fuseboard/consumer unit? You may be able to swap it for a normal socket outlet.

Either the RCD is broken or there is a fault on the circuit after the RCD.

Either way you need an electrian to check the situation.

Repeatedly "forcing" the RCD to switch on when it is trying to be OFF can damage the mechanism and then it may nor operate when it is needed to operate to cut the power and maybe save a life.

Repeatedly "forcing" the RCD to switch on when it is trying to be OFF when there is a appliance connected and switched on will damage the contacts in the RCD which are designed to switch OFF a load but not to re-close on a load. They will do it a few times before damageis too much.

Get it changed by someone who knows what they are doing.

RCD's detect current leaking from the circuit. Fuses MCBs detect excessive current flowing in the circuit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies

Londonboy - this socket is the only socket I have with an RCD. For some reason when a new fuse box was installed it did not have a RCD buiilt in.

Riveralt - I must confess I do always have freezer on all the time and tunble dryer on about 1 hour per day. Radio rarely! Too much on one socket?

RF Lighting - The test button will not push in. It won't even allow the button to be pushed in

It might be stuck in then ;)

Try tapping the area around the button gently with a screwdriver handle and see if it pops out

It might be stuck in then ;)

Try tapping the area around the button gently with a screwdriver handle and see if it pops out

Tried your suggestion. No luck I'm afraid. The button does appear to be depressing without difficulty.
There is a slight buzzing noise either coming from the socket or the fused socket for the boiler located next to it. I think I need to call an electrician tomorrow.

I've now replaced the RCD and all is now working.

Thanks for all your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back