Power Tool for Trimming Bottom Edge of Skirting Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay laminate in a room which has recently been decorated and want to avoid removing the skirting board if possible.

I believe I recently saw a TV programme where they were laying laminate flooring and instead of removing the skirting boards they used a power tool (router? grinder?) whch was pushed along the skirting in situ to remove 10 mm from the bottom edge.

Does anyone have an idea what tool they would have used and where I can rent one from?

Thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Chainsaw.jpg
:evil:

it was probably a door trimmer..

they are special circular saws that are flat on one side..

or grinders that have special attatchments..

why do you want to trim the skirting down?

you lay flooring to within 5-10mm of the skirting and put cork expansion strip round it don't you??

I want to lay 4mm ply over the old floorboards to get a smooth surface and then lay the laminate over. I haven't used a cork expansion strip anywhere else - just laid it so the edge finishes under the floorboards with 10mm gap to the wall as recommended.

Door trimmer may do the job and I found them at HSS Hire, but the thing I saw was larger - possibly a biscuit trimmer.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Pewit said:
Door trimmer may do the job and I found them at HSS Hire, but the thing I saw was larger - possibly a biscuit trimmer.

Paul

Don't waste money on an expensive biscuit trimmer. Just buy a larger mug ;) ;) :LOL:

Only one way to do this....Remove skirting and replace with new.

How are you going to recess the skirting at the internal corners....? How will you remove any rough edges....? The grain will run at different angles dependant upon how long your skirting is, giving problems when you cut. Worse still, not all skirting is fixed securely, some may pull away as you cut.

TV makeovers never show the problems that professional installers deal with as a matter of course, but cause a lot of grief for DIY,ers

door trimer or jam cutter will do. only problem is you cant cut the corners out . you can do this with a fein multi master.Also be carfull of power cables behind. Your next problem is the floor your fitting will cause you problems when trying to get end planks in place unless glue together. would be better taken skirt off on minimum 2 walls. And why this been moved? this a flooring problem ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back