Powerbreaker RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all please excuse my ignorance as I really am not clued up on electrics but would appreciate some help!

I have an RCD fused spur between the processor unit and the switched spur on my shower. I came back from holiday yesterday to find the shower had stopped working (the RCD hadn't tripped). It turned out to be an airlock which had shut the system down, which I sorted out and the shower is working again. The RCD however, tripped when I switched the spur on to restart the system. I have changed the fuse but to no avail, it's still showing red and the green button on the RCD now makes a humming noise when even the lightest pressure is exerted on it, which it didn't before.

The shower works perfectly but i'm reticent to use it - does it sound like the RCD needs replacing?

Sponsored Links
In my experience, Powerbreaker spurs always went faulty. And humming when you press the button was a symptom.

Temporarily, you could try attaching the pump via a plug top & RCD adaptor just to see if it works.

Sponsored Links
If you find it is faulty, contact the makers and they might send you a new one. I had a box of their RCD sockets, one was faulty, I sent it back and they sent me a replacement. i think they have a date or batch mark inside.

IIRC the actual name of the company that markets the brand is not Powerbreaker, but Green.... something

Yes, they are good at replacing things. But, given my experience at the failure rate of Powerbreaker stuff, I would not want a replacement!!

Any correctly functioning shower is not dangerous without one but the RCD is there as additional protection if something were to go wrong with the shower.There are many showers up and down the land that were never fitted with RCDs but I would not use a shower without one (electric or shower pump) and I recommend you do not either.

Glover - this is why I suggested plugging it in temporarily using an RCD adaptor.

Thanks for your help guys, i'll get the RCD looked at straight away before I get bored of taking baths instead of showers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back