Powerflush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having my 19 year old boiler replaced. Will I require a powerflush and what does this involve? I take it that without a powerflush my new boiler could get messed up?

Sponsored Links
Put some system cleaner in 2/3 weeks before the old boiler is removed.
During boiler change have all the rads off, outside and flush them out with a hose.
Once new boiler is fitted system should be reflushed

After 19 years you could have a pristine system or radiators made of rust held together by the paint.
If it's typical of an open vented (Netaheat) system though it will be grotty enough to need significant cleaning. That normally means powerflushing with an appropriate chemical cleaner and procedure. Taking all the rads off is hard messy work, but may gett he system as clean - I don't think anyone has published results!
Fernox teckies reckon you can get "up to 80%" of dirt out of a system by powerflushing. I don't think I'd want 20% of

this

sludge.jpg

left behind!

Advantage of removing rads is that you can properly inspect them, which is obviously quite important at this stage.
It is messier (but only if you areclumsy ;) ) than it is hard, certainly cheaper and possibly better than powerflushing :)

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your advice. Unfortunately, I do not have 2/3 weeks as recommended - I will be lucky if I still have heat/hot water on Christmas Day. It is planned that a friend of a friend will install a new boiler for me on the 29th December (Baxi Solo 18 HE). He is Corgi registered and is doing this to earn a little pocket money on the side. I have heard no mention of a Powerflush or any such likes and is only allowing 1 day for the install. It all seems a little on the cheap side = £1200.

Still get it in there asap!!

How many rads do you have?

That boiler is about £700

In that case if its too cheap give him more money. :LOL: :LOL: .. Power flush is one of the biggest money spinners out there just now and find majority are not justified for the price some of the big companies charge you could replace all the rads instead .So don`t put too much emphasis on it

Thank you all for your advice. Unfortunately, I do not have 2/3 weeks as recommended - I will be lucky if I still have heat/hot water on Christmas Day. It is planned that a friend of a friend will install a new boiler for me on the 29th December (Baxi Solo 18 HE). He is Corgi registered and is doing this to earn a little pocket money on the side. I have heard no mention of a Powerflush or any such likes and is only allowing 1 day for the install. It all seems a little on the cheap side = £1200.

Be aware that he is not CORGI registered when working on the side and he will not be able to notify CORGI of your new boiler who in turn will notify Building Control.

He should have notified you of the need to power flush the system. Make sure that he notifies CORGI and takes full responsibility for the effects of dirt in the system and also completes the Benchmark Certificate which comes with the boiler.

Tony

A system can be flushed to standard without the need of a power flushing machine so you are talking nonsense Agile.
And yes you can be Corgi registered working on the side do you not know that

A system can be flushed to standard without the need of a power flushing machine so you are talking nonsense Agile.
And yes you can be Corgi registered working on the side do you not know that

not if your corgi reg is under the company your employed by your not.
like bg.

Now starting to get a little paranoid!!! So system can be flushed to standard without the need of a Power Flushing machine - and my new boiler will be safe? Can this and a new boiler be done in one day? If the Corgi Engineer that is installing the boiler for me is registered under his company then he cannot complete the necessary paperwork - is this correct? The boiler is £700 and the flue another £60, and therefore he is charging me £440 for installing it. However, this is only good news if he does the job correctly and can give me the relevant paperwork. I am also concerned about radiator thermostats - I have none fitted. Can he still sign off the job as complete without them? Thanks all, so far, for the advice I have been given.

In my opinion he can't sign off your work unless he himself is corgi registered, you don't 100% need a powerflush but it would be better but would add cost and as its not a combi a chemical addative flush should be ok. Also you do need thermostatic valves.

Hi gasmanuk, and thanks. Just spoke to the installer and he confirms that he will flush the system with chemicals. He is Corgi qualified but, I believe, under his company - he mentioned someone else inspecting the install and signing it off. Is this allowed? And, so to clarify, because I am having a new replacement boiler, I now also have to have individual thermostats fitted to each radiator (or just to those upstairs)?

Simondave considering you are meant to know this guy you seem a bit of a pr#ck if you doubt him just cancel him and away and get a company out of yellow pages..I for one would not put myself out over the holidays for someone who has been given a reasonable price and is away quizing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back