Powerflushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it expected to get system water as clear as tap water?

I've done loads now and they're always clean when I leave but I went back to one today to fit some TRV's, drained off the system, and the water was cloudy. Maybe i'm doing something wrong! The rads and system work fine it's just the colour of the water.

For me the only reason to flush is when you've got cold spots on rads, if the pipework around the plan/feed is magnetic I just cut it out. I don't worry too much about the colour but I thought I was getting it clear!

Sponsored Links
Fernox ad used ro say you could get "up to" 80% of the crud out of a system
Still leaves the odd bucketful.

I suppose it all depends upon what caused the need for a powerflush in the first place. In other words, if you've done one, and returned some time later, the system can start to get dirty again for the same reason as before - pumping over, whatever. Did you add inhibitor?

I've tried it all ways. Hot and cold, both directions etc... no matter how perfect it seems there's always a fair load of c**p left.

IMHO the best way to do it is chemicals in for a week at least, then each rad off one at a time to shake/bang it then hose it out. Obviously this isn't always practical but for the majority of average houses it'd do a far better job.

That plus propper configuration of the feed/vent (combined wherever possible) and sorted!

All the flushes I do have been quoted buy a previous guy and 90% of them don't really need it.

Sponsored Links
I suppose it all depends upon what caused the need for a powerflush in the first place. In other words, if you've done one, and returned some time later, the system can start to get dirty again for the same reason as before - pumping over, whatever. Did you add inhibitor?

On this particular one I recongigured it to a combined feed/vent directly behind the pump, pumping down into the system. Also put F1 in it.

You're spot ont there, it's important to know why a flush has been quoted in the first place. Most of them I come accross don't really need it!

Andygasman2010";p="1707588 said:

On this particular one I recongigured it to a combined feed/vent directly behind the pump, pumping down into the system. Also put F1 in it.

You're spot ont there, it's important to know why a flush has been quoted in the first place. Most of them I come accross don't really need it![/quo

Andy who do you work for mate, not a big national company is it????

The water does not get crystal clear, nor does it need to. The combination of cleaner/inhibitor in the system can cause the dirt to stay suspended. The purpose of the exercise is to get the system to work properly and prevent further corrosion, not to use the rads as a dinner plate.

OLLIE20";p="1707658 said:

You're spot ont there, it's important to know why a flush has been quoted in the first place. Most of them I come accross don't really need it![/quo

Andy who do you work for mate, not a big national company is it????

Yep I do, i'm sure you can guess which one ;) I do upgrades and long duration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back