Powerflushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been searching through the forum to try and find a similar question but can't find anything. I apologise if this has already been answered though.

I have a Potterton Promax boiler coupled to a Gledhill Boilermate A-class storage system which was installed in our brand new house 6 years ago.

Last week we had our annual boiler service. This usually takes a good hour, so I was surprised that this time it only took 10 mins. The next day we realised that we had no hot water. Of course, I called the service company, who told me to press the reset button on the boiler and sure enough, the boiler kicked in again.

However, since obviously, at this time of year, we don't have the heating on, it was only when we tried to shower, the following morning, we realised that yet again, the boiler had cut out. We were able to reset it each time, but it seemed to cut out every 10 minutes or so, never heating enough water hot enough for a bath or shower.

We managed to get the same heating engineer back, 3 days after the service, who just did exactly the same thing. He pressed the reset button, claimed it was now working and left, despite us telling him that it would cut out again by the time he was at the end of the road! And it did!

Since we have emergency breakdown cover with the same company, we finally managed to get them to send out a different engineer. After having a good look, he said that the system needed to be powerflushed. He said that there was a lot of black gunk in the radiators, causing the system to overheat and shut down after 10 mins or so. He vented off a few of the radiators, saying that getting rid of an airlock could temporarily help the problem and it might not cut out so soon this time, but a powerflush was necessary and he also said that he thought that our builders probably hadn't put an inhibitor in...................we would have no comeback on this because it is now 6 years since the house was built.

I can see some logic in what the engineer was saying, and to be fair, his company were not trying to sell us the powerflush. But it seems like a lot of money to have to spend.................could he just not be bothered to find the problem? Also - there wasn't any problem until the boiler service last week. Is it just a coincidence? All the radiators work well - no problems with cold spots or anything.

Any help, guidance or reassurance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
its likely to just be a coincidence this has happened since the service, however, even if sludge is the cause, where are they saying it is thats causing the problem? It only causes issues when things start to get blocked, so whats blocked? or are they guessing as I suspect. Powerflush is the favourite diagnosis of alot of service companies who don't include this in their T&Cs. Wasnt homeserve by any chance? Maybe even a contractor from Storm? Would they be willling to offer to refund you the cost of a powerflush if it doesnt solve the problem?
Your boiler could be going to reset for any number of reasons and needs fully checking over and monitoring of the flow and return temps to see why if it is overheating and why.

You were right the first time with the company! Yes, Homeserve. No, they are not offering anything if it turns out not to be. The guy also said that despite the powerflush, damage may already have been done to the pump, which of course I wouldn't be covered for.
No, he wasn't specific about where any blockage might be.
I'm sorry if I'm sounding a bit vague................one thing I'm sure of though, is that I won't be renewing my Homeserve policies.

Sponsored Links
JCB, as already stated, powerflush is a 'cure for all evils' as far as a lot of service providers are concerned.

It is better to go find a reputable engineer (talk to friends, relatives and neighbours) than have a standing order making monthly payments to organisations that promise you the world when your system nreaks.

Almost certain, you will get far superior service from a person that comes highly recomended.

This usually takes a good hour, so I was surprised that this time it only took 10 mins.

This would have been an operational cheack as opposed to a boiler service. Check the boiler manual under annual service.

He said that there was a lot of black gunk in the radiators

While the black gung should not be there (system should have been cleaned and treated suitably when boiler fitted), unless you have cold spots and flow is as required, not an issue.

He vented off a few of the radiators, saying that getting rid of an airlock could temporarily help

Talking rubbish. If the radiator is already full of water, there would be NO air in it. Venting water will have no effect other than introducing fresh water into the system (not such a good idea as fresh water equals air content 20% of which will be oxygen which will then be 'used' up by radiators to generate more gunk)

You can get a sample of water and send it to Fernox for analysis. But honestly, if water black then no need as it is indictive of sedimentation

What is you location. You might get a regular post here to respond.

DP - thanks for addressing so many points. I think it shows that I am right to be suspicious and I will try to find a local, recommended, engineer.

My location is Halifax, West Yorkshire.

Again, this may be coincidence, but since the guy came this morning, at about 11.30am, it hasn't switched itself off. Granted, I've used very little hot water................I'm curious to see if we manage to get hot showers in the morning.

As you say, the fact the water is black may not be causing the problem, but it shouldn't be that way. This is something that surely will get worse? Is there anything that can be done at this stage to prevent the need for a powerflush in the future?

Might as well cancel your cover with Homeserve, they have a really bad reputation.

The cylinder places a demand on the boiler. Pipes to the cylinder will almost certainly be 22mm. Cannot visualise (unless boiler itself has a blockage in it) why the O/H cutout would be tripping.

Cannot visualise (unless boiler itself has a blockage in it) why the O/H cutout would be tripping.

maybe its ignition lockout , poorly diagnosed. I think they have a fairly generic lockout condition on the older promax

I'm trying to keep up here!
I've just found an old question on here -"Potterton Promax Ignition Fault - please help" Makes me see that there obviously were so many other things to consider, and kind of confirms the powerflush suggestion definitely was a bit of a cop out. On the lookout for a reliable engineer who has experience with these boilers............it's a new estate that I live on. Thinking about perhaps putting notes through everyone's doors because we all have the same boilers. See if anyone has had similar problems and found a good engineer.

I've been busy googling, and it seems that ignition lockout seems to be quite common in this Promax.

In my searching I have come across 2 people finding a possibility that their fault came about from a break in the seal on the combustion chamber door - after a service.

I have no idea really what this means, but could it be a possibility?

I have no idea really what this means, but could it be a possibility?

absolutely. A poor seal on the door causes the boiler to lockout after aprx 20/30mins as the it has a fan oheat stat which kicks out. Have you got the 3 lights on your promax? The very early ones just had a reset switch, but the later ones had 3 lights.

It has the reset switch and I believe there are 3 lights are behind the outer casing.

Not quite. It's not just Promax HE, but Promax HE Plus.

It looks very similar, although I believe the 2 are quite different.

The reset switch isn't right there on the front. You pull that lower, grey panel down to access the reset button.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back