Powerflushing

Sponsored Links
Nope. No lights there. Just the reset switch.
The first I knew of any lights were when the guy took the whole white front off this morning.

I'm still reading up on this particular boiler, and what I'm reading says that these combustion chamber seals MUST be replaced every time it is serviced. Homeserve certainly didn't do this last week. Problem ocurred as soon as they left...................Hmm. Still find it hard to believe this is a coincidence.

I know the model you mean, dont have any customers with that specific one so without the manual cant advise exactly in regards to the lights, but I would suspect on lockout the lights would show a sequence that corresponds to a particular fault condition, as the later model did exactly that but in a visible position on the front. I suspect thought that your right. I keep that particular seal in stock, as everytime i see one they usually need changing.

To conclude (although my fight with Homeserve is only just beginning!), it turns out that I was right about the combustion chamber door seal.

I got a local engineer in, and although at first he ignored my suggestion of the seal (!), eventually I persuaded him to have a look, and sure enough, it had almost completely disintegrated. We also noticed that one of the screws on the door, was slightly mis-shapened and would not screw all the way in.

Anyway, ordered a new door seal, had it fitted, and our heating system has now been working fully for almost a week. We suspect that the Homeserve engineer didn't go into the combustion chamber door, but wonder if he saw that a screw was slightly out, tried to tighten it, causing the door seal, which was already pretty knackered, to stop sealing, therefore causing the lockout after 20 mins.

But certainly no need for a £500 powerflush. My local engineer charged me £88, which obviously I will try to get back from Homeserve, as well as stopping my Direct Debits to them.

They have had the nerve to write to me, saying that until I prove that I have had the powerflush, they will not provide any cover. And if I don't have the powerflush in the next 28 days, my policy will be cancelled.
Absolutely criminal!

Sponsored Links
You have pretty much summed up the quality of that company.

However, you may not get very far with them.

But if you were to persevere and take them to court, observing the requirements, then you would be likely to win. If you were in my local area then I would offer to represent you or offer expect evidence free!

They dont pay very much and consequently the quality of the engineers they can employ is usually not very good.

The enthusiasts who give advice on these forums dont go home at 5 pm and forget about boilers but read and advise people all free of charge.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back