powering an usb audio interface without a pc or laptop....

As usual it's up to pioneers like myself to do all the hard work for all of ya out there....(call me a hero if you must - feeling an aureola over my head right now - hawwww)...if I fail we all fail and then we'll need £300 more to buy the Boss BR800 (so, wish me good luck please)....

No, It's not that at all. This is like complaining that your toothbrush does not reheat your dinner. If you want to 'pioneer' yourself a new design, then 'so be it'.

As we have ascertained, the £300 model does what you need, but unfortunately, you have a cheaper model that uses a PC to do the processing in real time. You would be spending a 'lot' of time redesigning this, when you could be busking or getting a job to buy the £300 model in the first place. :idea:

Danechip....have your read my previous messages? The processing is done within the Edirol itself (why people don't get the fact first?) - it does everything when plugged via USB to a dumb Fostex MR8 (an old recorder which happen to have a usb host for a cd writer).
Your toothbrush example doesn't work...waaay over the top. The 9v socket is fairly common in other similar devices...
The problem with the £300 model is that it looks too good for the street - busking is a risky business...the Edirol looks cheap and cheerful and it's small - mind you, if I manage to get a neat solution (e.g. bypass the USB check and get direct to where the voltage matters) then, I might revamp this little fella and sell a modified version to buskers...

Sponsored Links
As we have ascertained, the £300 model does what you need, but unfortunately, you have a cheaper model that uses a PC to do the processing in real time. You would be spending a 'lot' of time redesigning this, when you could be busking or getting a job to buy the £300 model in the first place. :idea:

I don't think the PC does any processing. For starters, it is plain impossible for a PC to do it in real time over USB.

Roland's reply:
There is no way to power up the Edirol UA-4fx without a PC I'm afraid...we can only suggest to use a small Netbook instead.

Sort of expected really....(no they didn't bother pushing the Roland BR800).

So, one of the 3 solutions is gone.
Now, let's wait for the usb host OTG to arrive (from China!), and also keep looking for a cheap Raspberry PI.

Then, on reflection a Netbook isn't such a bad idea...get a used/cheap one with a decent battery (cos' that's what matters really) and then it would add add some extra functionalies to the Edirol too (all that software and MIDI)...it might function as a recorder too - but I bet the minidisc is better and more reliable (optical input too).

Sponsored Links
4th solution.....a cheap Android A13 tablet for under £30 (OTG cable included) - this should kill the Raspberry PI option for good (imho) - why? Because there is no need for extra battery....then the tablet is ready for use for other stuff too - while the Raspberry PI requires all other extra accessories to make it usable (in the end that tablet is cheaper and less hussle).

Update:
while waiting for some usb otg cables arriving from China...I've managed to power up the edirol using an A20 tablet fitted with otg cable - it works perfectly, and it allows to play/record continuously for more than 2 hours - this with "plug-in power" microphone and some effects including reverb and tube warm amplification (without these the edirol should be running a bit longer). The battery pack isn't necessary as most of mine busking sessions lasts less than 2 hours (job done).

As I thought initially, the Samsung Galaxy S isn't equipped with OTG usb...there is a ROM available which can offer such utility but I don't think a smartphone battery can keep the Edirol running for long (still tempting to find out).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back