Powerline adapter to signal booster possible?

hi1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The scenario at present is this two houses in France. Router is in one house and provides wifi in that property. Separate property across 25 meters of courtyard is supplied by plugging router into powerline adapter in property one and utilising electrical connection between properties getting web connection in property two by using powerline connectors and being tethered by cables to each adapter, devices have to have a suitable connection/slot to connect to the adapter.
Would it be possible to connect a signal booster to one of the powerline adapters in property two to give roaming without cables. If not any other cheap workable solutions you can suggest would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
quoting from https://www.ban-plt.org.uk/what.php

How does PLT "work"?
Power Line Adapters transmit their signal over the in-house mains wiring by injecting a very high level of radio frequency energy on to the phase (live) and neutral wires. They use a wide-band modulation method known as Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) to encode the Ethernet frames into a radio signal. PLA manufacturers believe this signal happily travels along the mains wiring within the house and does not pass through the electricity meter or radiate from the cables. This sadly is a fundamental mis-understanding of how radio signals operate! The mains wiring in your property was designed for one thing and one thing only: mains electricity! It was not designed to handle radio energy. For that we have co-axial cable; used to connect TV/Satellite aerials (for example). And for networking, we have Category 5 UTP and Category 6 UTP, a balanced cable designed to handle high-frequency signals used by Ethernet networking. So, if you are operating a pair (or more) of PLT devices, your mains wiring is leaking radio energy like a sieve! Your PLT signals are also winding their way along the phase and neutral conductors leaving your property. UK domestic 3-phase wiring methods mean those neighbours who share the same power phase will see your PLT signals conducted on to their mains wiring. The same phase may also supply a lamp post, meaning your PLT noise will be radiated from there as well!

If you live in a village with over-head power cables and over-head telephone cables you will suffer a reduction in ADSL sync and throughput speeds. The PLT signals radiate from the mains and are coupled into the telephone lines via electromagnetic induction. This will not just affect your ADSL signal, but several properties in the local area. Your neighbours will be none too pleased to learn of this fact!

It has also been reported that the new breed of 1Gbps PLT (using frequencies up to 300MHz) cause considerable interference to the new VDSL system BT Openreach are installing to homes as part of their next-generation "broadband" offering. Yes that is right, BT Vision are shipping a product which wrecks what BT Openreach are rolling out!

The Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex modulation technique creates a swathe of noise across the radio spectrum running from 2 to 30MHz (in the case of the early HPA/UPA devices) and up to 300MHz in the case of the new 1Gbps devices now being sold. This radio energy leaking from the home of a PLT user can radiate in all directions up to 500 metres and further. When viewed at the level of a small town, this can ensure the entire town is blanketed with radio frequency interference (also known as Spectrum Abuse) by a small number of installations (approx. 25 PLT installations have been detected wiping out a small market town with a population of approx. 12,000). This level of interference renders the legal users of the radio spectrum unable to use their equipment.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...te-owners-bad-powerline-network-adapters.html

Well o.k thanks for your reply. The nearest neighbours will be 400 meters away. What I need to be able to do is offer potential users of the property roaming wifi, the ipad generation. I have since I posted looked on ebay and saw a pair of devices one which it appears you plug your router into and the 'receiver' which as well as plug sockets has a wireless capability. From what I could understand does this mean that the wireless part of the adapter acts as the wireless part of the original router? and would this be a way around the problem.

Easy. I use these in my house. https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt...9rbD0cEb_aBNhpOifANCF446tdWFkNqcaAogiEALw_wcB

You plug the main unit into the mains and also into the router and then plug the 'slave' ones into the mains. Each 'slave' has a hardware connector as well as transmitting a wifi signal that you connect up to so okay for laptops and iPads/iPhones etc.

Edit: Yes. The wireless part of the slaves transmit the signals to your router through the mains wiring so they will do exactly what you want.

Sponsored Links
The spurious radiation from the "powerline" signals passing along the mains cables will adversely affect the WiFi signals. A laptop a few feet from the WiFi but also close to a mains cable is likely to suffer reduction in WiFi speed, possible severe reduction. This is due to the spurious radio freqency energy radiating from the mains cables causing corruption of the WiFi data and requiring repeats of data packets.

wireless part of the slaves transmit the signals to your router through the mains wiring

But in a different and conflicting format.

Well, I can only speak from personal experience. I have my router downstairs in my hall with my power line adapter plugged into the mains and connected to my router. I have one of the adaptors in my attic connected to my CCTV DVR. I can watch all my camera's via my iPhone anywhere in the world and it is as clear as day. Also, from the same power line adaptor in my loft, I connect wirelessly to my smart TV in the bedroom as well as our kindles and iPads if we have them upstairs - a better connection than we get from the router downstairs. Again, no problem.

The OP says he already has a powerline adaptor working fine in the situation he needs it for and just wants the ability to connect wirelessly to it instead of hard wired. In that situation, I can't see why it wouldn't work for him as it works for me.

Perhaps you should be directing your information to BT and let them know that the product they designed and have been selling for years don't (or shouldn't, according to you) work?

the product they designed and have been selling for years don't (or shouldn't, according to you) work?

www..ispreview.co.uk said:
We recall some examples of BTVision shipping older Comtrend adapters several years ago, which made some people unhappy. In a few cases similar kit was also blamed for causing interference with sound systems, DAB/FM radio and even broadband ADSL lines, among other things.

If a any device puts radio frequency energy onto the mains cabling in the building then some of that energy will be radiated from the mains cabling. How much depends on many factors, in extreme case where the length on mainsa cable is a multiple of the wavelength of the RF energy then it may be that all the RF energy is radiated and none reached the remote "PowerLine" device. I believe that was confirmed by a set up in laboratory conditions where "PowerLine" did not work. I am told that modern PowerLine units can adapt theri operating frequency amd/or power levels to achieve best communications.

If a WiFi linked device is close to a mains cable in a building where "PowerLine" is operating and some distance from the WiFi hub then the spurious radio frequency energy from the mains cable may be enough to swamp the signal from the WiFi hub and thus communication with the device will be compromised

The theory is all very well but only way we'll find out whether it works in the situation required would be if the OP actually tries it and reports back on the results. As I said, it works for me. Forget the theory Bernard, have you actually tried and tested that setup?

*I believe there was actually a theory once that concluded it was impossible for a bumble bee to fly. Problem with that theory was that nobody informed the bumble bee.

Forget the theory Bernard, have you actually tried and tested that setup?

12 years employed by a rasio paging manufacturer. Dead spots where pagers should have worked but did not always receive the page were often the result of spurious radio frequency emmisions.

BT supplied me a pair of Power Line units ( I did not need them ) which were recalled and replace with an "improved" version. The reason for the recall was the originals had a fault which might result in them over heating / catching fire. I did some basic tests for radiated energy when an AM Medium Wave radio was affected if close to the Power Line units or the cable connecting them. I do not have the results but both were noisy in terms of RF radiation from the cables in the house.

So the answer is yes I have tried and tested them

AM radio frequency problems? Yeah, I had that with my copper core spark plug leads... years ago! How many users, honestly, is that going to affect nowadays? How far back are we talking about here? I've been using mine for a couple of years maximum. Was it within that time frame?

I've been using mine for a couple of years maximum. Was it within that time frame?

Many years before that. But the laws of physics have not changed. Radio receiver technology has improved but the signal to in band RF noise is still the critical thing. If the in band RF noise level is comparable to the level of the required signal then reception of the required signal will be compromised.

Ok. We'll have to leave it at that and hope that the OP reports back on whether BT have discovered the technology to get around the laws of physics from days of old.

People get upset when one causes radio interference. It really does not matter if it's the CB'er with his burner or the guy with "powerline" and they will do something about it, I saw what people did to CB'ers who would not toe the line, pins in coax to little transmitters in the gutter, once some one finds out what is going on, they seem to have a natural need to get their own back.

I only work mobile and the "powerline" does not really cause me that much of a problem, however it causes huge problems to others and although I can not condone what they do, I can understand it. I would suggest you refrain from anti-social behaviour, if you don't want to be on the receiving end.

For 25 meters another ethernet cable could be run then another wifi providing router.
OR the powerline devices as suggested with a router at the remote connection (as horrible as plt is).

Sponsored Links
Back