Powermax 135 bangs when windy!

Hi Nickso,

It's a Powermax 135, big ass white boiler, orange coloured across the control panel, has a timer and a rocker switch which can go to cont / timed / off.

I'm prodding away at British Gas, difficult though as all I've had is excuses / teflon shoulders. But I'll get there in the end.

Sponsored Links
the GC number of the appliance should be on the paperwork BG left you.

i could probably guess from the info above though.

when it bangs does the green light flicker on and off?

Sponsored Links
Yup it goes like this

Boiler goes on, green light is on could be 2 mins, could be 5.
BANG (loudest)
Green light off, boiler ignites again
Green light goes on for a second, then off, then 2nd Bang, not just so loud.
Green light off, boiler ignites again
Green light goes on for a second, then off, then 3rd Bang, quieter again.
Then it usually comes on and proceeds to run for a varying amount of minutes before repeating the cycle. Sometimes it goes solid after 2 bangs but three is the norm.

The loudness of the bangs varies, sometimes a real loud one that scares the crap out of you, other times it can be, same noise just far lower in volume. But it always seems to be loudest, quieter, quietest.

So far electrode, gasket, and gas valve have been replaced!

Oh and it does have it's periods of quietness. Can go for a few days without banging, but it always comes back.

hmmm.

if it was me i would be having a close look at the burner, heat exchanger and flue.

damaged burners, choked or more likely corroded heat exchanger and some of the flue options are possibly to blame. not much to say without seeing it.

If they find an engineer who knows the boiler i'd imagine it would be an easy diagnosis. The problem being is the guys are just guessing and changing parts in the hope it will fix it. There's been no diagnosis done as such, they've heard the noises but never given a definite answer. I'll keep at them until they get an experienced engineer in.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hmmm well phoned up BG to see if there was any update. Apparently they're sticking with the "nothing more can be done for this boiler" and somebody will phone me back shortly to confirm this.

Maybe time to get in touch with Citizens Advice!

unacceptable unless they have covered the points i mentioned above.

Still no call back, apparently Call Manager getting all the details together. Looks like a losing battle from now on. Any advice on how to handle the "nothing more we can do" with the Call Center Manager complaints folks?

I wasn't even given paperwork from the senior engineer who said it was the gas / air mix so there's nothing more they can do and no evidence to support it.

you may have to get nasty with them now. you may have to advise them you will be getting the manufacturer to look at it and if anything out of the ordinary is found then you will be advising the local and national press of the situation.

ask to speak to the technical support manager or service manager for the area first, these may well already have been in your home but you will need to clarify why they think the gas/air mix is unsuitable and why they have not made any attempts to repair it if they think that is wrong. the council excuse is utter rubbish. you will also need to ask them if the covered the flue, burner and heat exchanger in their previous visits.

it is unacceptable to have a faulty appliance that has not been seen by the manufacturer if BG have no further ideas.

just noticed that you got no paperwork from the "senior" engineer....that is just plain dodgy from a safety point of view. if he worked on it he should be leaving paperwork.

How can there be no more they can do if all parts are available, they haven't diagnosed the fault and haven't arranged a manufacturer visit?. Tell them you wan't the manufacturer out and if they shrug you off call in daily with a breakdown.

Had a quick scan through all the posts

No mention as to what type of flue is fitted?

Is it Horizontal balanced Vertical balanced or Ridge tile 'unbalanced'?
How long is the flue? How many bends does it have?
Is it side, rear or top outlet?

Has the HT lead been replaced?

The current correct part number for the gas valve for the 135 is P096 and should be set to 13.8mbar +/- 0.6 out. (it's a standard governor not 'zero' air/gas ratio valve) therefore very easy to set up.
Combustion readings CO2 = 8.7% to 9.8% and CO less than 20ppm

Finally has the meter governor been checked, a dip below 18mbar will give 'heavy ignition'

Apologies if these subjects have been covered

Hi baxpoti,

I'm relying on engineers who've attended so I'll try and answer your questions.

The flue is straight though, literally out the back of the boiler horizontally and out the wall, can't be any more than 1/2 metre. Engineer has checked this apparently, no paperwork left to say that for sure though.

The HT lead (if it's the right bit I'm thinking of) was the first thing they replaced, concerned with the green light going on / off / on BANG so they went for electrics side. Once again, no paperwork but girlfriend was watching, they also changed a PCB on the front panel. Probs best i just list the parts they've fitted from paperwork sheets I have:-

Parts fitted
298029 - Gasket - Injector module
298027 - Gasket - Main Burner
E49876 - Gas Valve Assembly C/W Union Cock

Burner Pressure MBar 13.90
Combustion performance last test 0.0001

Thats all I've got.

No phone call back, and it's only banged once in last 3 days, just a lot of pinging and dull noises, kinda like the bangs, but really quiet. It calmed down before and came back with a vengeance, but I'm enjoying the peace and quiet for now, oh and saving for a boiler as it's embarrassing as much as anything when it does go nuts.

The meter governor needs testing/checking

If problem persists;
I'd be looking at replacing the burner (and gasket)
If it hasn't been replaced so far!
Part Number 298133 Burner Head Kit P089.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back