Powermax 150HE leaking condensate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I found a wet floor under my Powermax 150HE yesterday. Having taken the covers off, it appears that water is dripping from the condensate collector that sits underneath the heat exchanger/flue. The dripping only starts once the boiler has been firing for a minute or so.

I have taken off the large condensate trap at the front of the unit (seems OK), and used some plastic washing line to try and check for blockages further up the line (nothing else seems to go round the right angle bend), but to no avail. It looks as if the heat exchanger has to be removed to access the collector vessel which a) is beyond my capabilities, and b) strikes me as expensive.

Does anybody have any other ideas for trying to dislodge the (suspected) blockage, and any suggestions as to how it might have arisen? The unit was new 2.5 years ago.

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
This sounds like yet another case of a boiler that has never been serviced?

With this type of boiler this kind of problem is only to be expected if its not serviced regularly.

You will need a competent engineer who is familar with your model as its a bit of a speciality.

Tony

Thanks Tony, but it was serviced last July, on its second anniversary. The service was carrried out by the company who installed it originally, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not (other installations on our development have had problems, but not this problem AFAIK).

It is possible that there may be a hole in the bottom of the condensate collector,i have seen this before. :(

Sponsored Links
That figures, as there is still a fair bit of water running through the large condensate trap and away to the drain, as it should.

I'm now trying to find a method of routing the leaking water away to a jar, so that we can at least have some heat until the repair person comes (anyone who knows a decent company/individual in the Gloucester/Cheltenham area that is familiar with Powermax HEs, let me know...)

Thanks,
Chris

the heat exchanger is made of stainless steel but the manifold is made of aluminium. I have had one of these develop ahole after only a few months.
It is a major job to change as the heat exchanger has to come out .
Hope you have insurance-if not Heateam will offer the best deal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back