Powermax 155

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Hope someone can help or point me in the right direction.

I've just had a new bathroom installed with a new radiator.

The installers bled the system last night and tried to get the system back up and running but every time they switch the Central Heating and Hot Water on together the boiler starts up for about 20 seconds and then automatically switches off and after about 3-4 attempts locks out (same happens when we try just to get hot water).

Any thoughts on how to rectify the problem (apart from getting a decent plumber!) as they are talking about the possibility of a new boiler (which to me sounds a bit drastic as it was working fine up until yesterday)?

A lot of local plumbers don't seem interested in touching a Powermax boiler. Do they have a bad reputation (ours is only 12 years old)?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. :D

Mark

Sponsored Links
local plumbers don't seem interested in touching a Powermax boiler. Do they have a bad reputation

Well it didn't help that BG managed to kill a customer with one.
And the flues tend to be a type which is now declared "At Risk" so shouldn't be used.

I'd call the manufacturer out on that one.

at 12 years old i'm pretty sure even baxi won't come out to it.

Not many engineers are confident working on these boilers.Spares are becoming difficult.and many are no longer available.I have worked on these since they were first fitted and as with any boiler the correct servicing and safety checks must be followed.With that done they are no more dangerous than any other appliance.Reliability.......well thats another issue. 12 years old? then its better to replace it with a decent combi.They are usually installed in a compartment and all the pipework including a 22mm gas supply is close by.If the Powermax is on an outside wall then better still.If you want a repair BG fixed price might be the way to go. Oh and they won't kill you!

Sponsored Links
http://www.powermax-repairs.co.uk/

See No.3 in Common Faults and Breakdowns. Check AAV on top of the boiler, if there is one. Check the pumps are spinning, your contractor should have done this if he has a clue.

Is yours a sealed system or open vented?

I dont think the OP is asking for suggestions relating to fixing it himself.

Nor would I ever advise any DIYer to attempt repairs on this model. Apart from danger this might cause this boiler needs regular professional checking to remain safe.

This is a common case of bathroom installers doing something on the radiators and not being skilled or qualified to sort out problems which arise with the boiler.

My feeling would be that the bathroom installers should pay for correcting it. Thats based on the fact that they should not be touching the heating system if they dont have the skills or have somebody to call to sort out problems.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back