Powermax 155x Replacement Suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to replace a dead Powermax 155x open vented boiler but I'm struggling to find a suitable replacement. My needs are:

1. Twin flue (about 60mm diameter) - as that is what the 155x currently use. Also, there is (probably) not enough space between the joists in the ceiling to accommodate a concentric flue setup. Boxing is a possibility but I would much rather not. Existing flue length runs approximately 7-8 metres.

2. Would like to avoid a condensing boiler due to a lack of a condensate drain.

3. Need to provide hot water for the bathroom, kitchen, & en-suite shower.

4. Support 9 radiators.

Anyone have any suggestions? Pretty desperate....... :(

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your options are very limited indeed.

You could have a look at a Keston twin pipe condenser, but they are cr*p.

You could try Atmos Some of their Coopra range had 60mm flueing, and you might persuade them to let it go on the InterGas range. But don't hold me to that.

Other than that you will have to be less prescriptive - desparate should mean flexible; not tother way round.

Lack of termination for a condensing drain is no problem, just use a condensing lift pump and go up & over.

Sponsored Links
Presumably you need the heatstore, DHW and CH capabilities of the Powermax?

What about Gledhill Gulfstream? or another Powermax? (!!)

(You'll definitely have to re-do the fluing. The twin-flue that's there will DEFINITELY NOT be re-usable with a condensing boiler. There's also some CORGI-induced strife going on at present concerning 'inspectability' of long, twin flues in ceilings, boxing, etc.)

Thanks to everyone for all the useful advice - I certainly have more options now than I did before.....

simond - I did take a look at the Keston boilers (with them having twin flue options) and I agree with you about their quality, so would rather stay away from them (if at all possible).

Dan_Robinson - I will give Atmos a call and see if they can help me out. From what I read, they make very good boilers.

gas4you - can you give me more details on the make/type of a condensing lift pump? Are these generic devices?? Can they be fitted onto any type of condensing boiler? Please excuse my ignorance, as this is the first time I have heard of such a device.

croydoncorgi - you are absolutely correct. I will need the heatstore, DHW and CH capabilities of the Powermax. Thanks for the point about the flueing, which I have been informed about (but didn't know anything about the inspectability issue). I will give Gledhill a call too to see if they have anything that would suit my needs. As for Powermax, I think I would rather stay away from them this time round.

Thanks again to you all.

The POTTERTON powermax aint a bad bit of kit

buts its an unvented cylinder rather than a heat store

the gulfstream is a superb bit of kit

If you want something similar and have the space then the Viessmann equivalent is ideal for you!

I cannot be sure about the flueing options but you could enquire. I think its the Vitodens 333.

As always you seem to be reluctant to engage a competent CORGI to install the new boiler and give you advice on the possibilities. Thats usualy a result of the common perception that ALL plumbers are uneducated and ignorant.

You dont seem to have realised that except in VERY few situations you HAVE to fit a condensing boiler now.

The CORGI could advise on siting and alternative arrangements. You could have a small boiler and an unvented in the loft for example.

Tony

Tony - I will give Viessmann a call as well, as I know they too are excellent, but I believe the Vitodens 333 comes only with concentric flues.

I have tried to get CORGI engineers in my area to do this install but the majority of them want to re-position the boiler nearer to an external wall. Unfortunately, my only real option is to put it back in the same place.

Sigh, I would much rather get on with other things than read up on boilers but unfortunately, I don't seem to have any luck with getting good professional advice (with the exception of 1 or 2). In fact, I have been getting better/quicker advice in this thread than I've had from the CORGI installers that I've called out so far.

Thank you all.

powermax said:
Tony - I will give Viessmann a call as well, as I know they too are excellent, but I believe the Vitodens 333 comes only with concentric flues.

That may well be the case but its worth asking as that is a very good boiler model.

Unfortunately the Germans seem to say "You vill do what vee tell you" rather than "Vee vill give you what you vant".

They are learning very slowly though. They intially sold the basic 100 model without the external weather connection but are now going to provide it soon!

Tony

Look at Viessman 333, Worcester-Bosch 440 and the Vokera. As been suggested I think Gledhill may be worth a look too. Also the ACV HeatMaster too.

I'd already discounted the Viessmann 333 because it probably stands too tall to fit the space used for a Powermax and because I've only ever heard of only 60/100 concentric fluing being available for the smaller 333 models. BUT it does appear that there IS polypropylene twin fluing CERTIFICATION for the 333 - question is: does Viessmann UK actually offer it? You'll have to ask them.
If it DID fit, it really is a superb machine!

Doctor Drivel - thanks for the suggestions. I had a look at the ACV HeatMaster models but unfortunately, they're just a little too big to fit into the space where the Powermax is currently situated. Also, I think with all the manufacturers you mentioned, all their boilers only work with concentric flues (but I could easily be wrong).

croydoncorgi/Tony - the Viessmann 333 would probably just fit in my cupboard with a bit of a squeeze (width wise). I called Viessmann's technical help number and was told that they do not do twin flue options with any of their boilers. :(

Dan_Robinson - I specify the 60mm twin flue purely due to space. The current flue will be ripped out and replaced with new ones. Am I correct to assume that the new flues do not require any lagging? Oh yeah, I spoke to Atmos and they reckon their "Multi" boiler models may be what I need. Only issue is that their flue size is 80mm. Alternatively, they still do the Coopra (but it's not on the website) which can be used with a separate thermal store. This is definitely a viable solution as the flue size is 60mm for the Coopra. I have asked them for a visit with the intention of installing one of their boilers but unfortunately I missed their call. Will try calling them again first thing tomorrow morning.

I know my options are pretty limited but should I be bothered that the Atmos Coopra is a pretty old model? I think it was first manufactured in 1997.

The Multi's are large; and definately not for everyone.

The Coopra is an excellant boiler when installed correctly. It might be an old design, but it is incredibly efficient and has a stainless steel heat exchanger.

We installed one two weeks ago, and are starting another one soon. We do preer the Intergas and the Multi's, but where space is restrictive....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back