Preparing cellar brickwork for tanking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In preperation for my builder to come and tank my cellar I am cleaning up all the mouldy brickwork.
I am scrapping off all loose stuff and wire brushing and then going to wash the walls with an antifungal or bleach and make good or replace any damaged bricks or pointing.

Q1: what is the best thing to wash the bricks with, diluted bleach or a special anti-fungal cleaner, if so which one?
Q2:Is there a product I can treat the bricks with when they have dried to help them maintain stability and keep them mould free? (i don't want to waterproof them as I know they need to breathe)
Q3:When repointing, should I use just sand/cement or do I need to add some lime as well to make it softer or add anything else?

The reason for the mould is the previous owner blocked up all the air vents which I have now unblocked and added some extra ones so the cellar can breathe. There are a couple of other issues which will also be resolved (2 big bushes planted right by the house which have been cut down and the roots will be dug up and a cracked drain which was next to one of the bushes).

Thanks in advance for any replies, opinions and answers
Jim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back